PCM shuts off and on every 3 minutes or so - 2013 Cayenne S - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 11:30 AM Thread Starter

PCM shuts off and on every 3 minutes or so - 2013 Cayenne S

Hello, Cayenne Forum. I have had my 2013 Cayenne S for about 6 months. It has 41K miles. Been great so far, but i am experiencing the PCM shut off and reboot every 3 minutes or so. It started a week ago. I had never listened to the CD player in my car, so i decided to try it out. I drove about 15 miles listening to the CDs, then shut off the car. Got back in the car and the PCM started shutting down every three minutes. It makes a 'ping' sound when it shuts down. Goes completely off and reboots with the Porsche log screen, etc. When it finally comes on, it pics up on the same channel i had it on when I originally started my car. So, if the PCM re-boots, and i had it on a channel OTHER than what it was on when i first started, it will go back to the same channel and volume setting as before. Weird. Has anyone else experienced this? I called the dealership in STL where I bought it. They told me they had several calls on this and it was Sirius (which i have) changing satellites and they told me to wait to see if the glitch takes care of itself??? So far it hasn't and i am frustrated as ****. Anybody know what could be happening here?? I am trying to post a video to this post. I managed to catch it on video while driving.
The video may be too large to post here. I can send it upon request to your mobile phone.

I look forward to your responses!

Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-24-2020, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

I fixed the PCM via a video from Youtube. You have to reset your PCM to factory settings. You will lose all your preset stations and have to re-pair your phone, but it is totally worth it. I had to reset twice, but here are the steps:

Hold down the INFO button for 10 seconds, or until it resets. Once it resets, select the CAR button. Then OPTION. Then SET PCM SYSTEM. Then RESET PCM SYSTEM. Then VEHICLE HANDOVER. Then YES. Then YES.

Again, I had to do it twice. It worked. I had to re-pair my phone and favorites, etc, but, again, it was worth it.

Hope this helps you!

Rich
post #3 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 12:05 PM

I too had the same problem. I did the reset before, the only difference was that I did not hold the INFO button for 10 seconds. It worked for a few days and then started again. I just did it with the INFO button this time.

I'll post again in a week with the result.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-25-2020, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Right on!
post #5 of 14 Old 05-27-2020, 06:35 PM

Same issue on my 2016 Cayenne. Spoke to local dealership and they said nation wide malfunction. Followed the steps above and it worked fine for a few days. Did the reset again today so we’ll see if it works this time.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-27-2020, 06:45 PM

Rich,
We have had our 2014 Cayenne Diesel since we drove out of the Leipzig plant in August 2013. We've never had any problem with PCM until last week when it went off & auto reset (after 2 min of being on). It did this several times. The next morning the tailgate would not go up over 6" electrically & would not close. Long story--I replaced the battery & all is fine now. Replacing the battery is a complete story in itself! There is a reason the dealer figures 8 hours to replace it.
I don't know if power is your problem or not. Some of the computers are VERY sensitive to voltage on a particular line, so it could have something to do with the PCM resetting. It's not seeing the voltage it expects & resets. ???
post #7 of 14 Old 05-27-2020, 06:51 PM

Garage
Happened on my 2013 Turbo too. I did the handover reset on Friday AM, been driving it every day since with out a problem. Although I'm sure that I just jinxed myself.

Current: 2013 Cayenne Turbo, 2007 Cayman S, 1985 Alfa GTV6
post #8 of 14 Old 05-27-2020, 10:36 PM

Its confirmed as an XM/Sirius radio upgrade that is interfering with PCM 3.1. Hard reboot of PCM with handover required and it has fixed my issue on the first try. As others stated it will delete all personalized settings and bluetooth connections. Good luck and their is a certified porsche mechanic with a youtube channel that you should subscribe to. Wealth of information.....
post #9 of 14 Old 05-28-2020, 11:15 PM

well---I still had the problem with the PCM resetting after 2 min of operation. SO---I did the reset according to the instructions richchapman99 put on here. The problem is it reset everything in German! I guess I'll go You Tube hunting---
Does anyone here have any suggestions?
post #10 of 14 Old 05-28-2020, 11:36 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakepilot View Post
well---I still had the problem with the PCM resetting after 2 min of operation. SO---I did the reset according to the instructions richchapman99 put on here. The problem is it reset everything in German! I guess I'll go You Tube hunting---
Does anyone here have any suggestions?
I reset it. the first time it came up in German! Watched a you tube video & tried again. Still came up in German but eventually I got it to come up in English. We'll see how long it lasts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page