Ceramic coating - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-13-2020, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Ceramic coating

I am about to take delivery of my 2020 Cayenne Quartzite Gray Metallic. Anyone have any good/bad experience with ceramic coating? I am so scared that even a reputable detailer that has done Ferrari and Maserati will screw it up. When I bought my 2012 MB ML 550 in 2012 ceramic coatings were not a thing and the paint job on that car is the worst together with the G-tronic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-14-2020, 03:59 PM

Consider Xpel?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 7 Old 06-16-2020, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoguidi View Post
I am about to take delivery of my 2020 Cayenne Quartzite Gray Metallic. Anyone have any good/bad experience with ceramic coating? I am so scared that even a reputable detailer that has done Ferrari and Maserati will screw it up. When I bought my 2012 MB ML 550 in 2012 ceramic coatings were not a thing and the paint job on that car is the worst together with the G-tronic.
Hello. I took delivery of my 2020 Cayenne S Coupe a couple of months ago. I had Modesta ceramic coating as well as Xpel protective film put on. The ceramic coating is amazing and I would highly recommend it. My car requires no real washing and no waxing. I simply rinse any dirt off the car and wipe down with a waterless spray and the shine is like a mirror. If your dealer has an experienced ceramic coating guy you should have nothing to worry about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2020, 06:24 PM
gw7

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguy View Post
Hello. I took delivery of my 2020 Cayenne S Coupe a couple of months ago. I had Modesta ceramic coating as well as Xpel protective film put on. The ceramic coating is amazing and I would highly recommend it. My car requires no real washing and no waxing. I simply rinse any dirt off the car and wipe down with a waterless spray and the shine is like a mirror. If your dealer has an experienced ceramic coating guy you should have nothing to worry about.
The debate goes on about ceramic coating. The brush on /spray on is not really ceramic coating, in that actual ceramic coating with require 1500 degrees Celsius. e.g., liquid glass

Ceramic coating is a very loosely applied term, not as bad as bonded leather, but close. I did the ceramic coating, Mothers. CMX. Granted the nano particles are hydrophobic, repels water. But is it a wax suspension, that will wear off. IMHO, twice an year good quality wax just a s good.

Also "Wax on Wax off." No need to go to the gym.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-17-2020, 06:49 PM

Garage
Personally, I'd go to a independent professional rather than have the coating done at your dealership. That's a
generalization, I know but mirrors what I've read online on the topic. Make sure you buy an established brand from an authorized installer who'll stand by the work 100%. Matt Mormon on his Obsessed Garage site and YT channel has a lot about coatings and he's very unbiased from what I've read and watched. Good luck with the new Cayenne 👍 😀 👌
post #6 of 7 Old 08-11-2020, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyguy View Post
So how are you liking the coating? She finally arrived and here in Honolulu the ceramic job runs about 1700$ the whole car protective film 6k$. Acceptable?
post #7 of 7 Old 08-29-2020, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcoguidi View Post
So how are you liking the coating? She finally arrived and here in Honolulu the ceramic job runs about 1700$ the whole car protective film 6k$. Acceptable?

Pricing opinion would be speculative and market may play too much of a factor. If you’re going to have the ceramic coating done - just make sure that the person doing it, was the one trained and certified for application by the ceramic coating manufacturer. Regardless of the route you go and even on a new vehicle - would have a full comprehensive paint correction performed. In contrast, the paint prep is magnitudes more significant than the ceramic coating and/or film that is applied.

At some point, there's the pragmatic artifact that there's no silver bullet and there will be trade-offs (ceramic v. film v. ceramic + film). Ceramic + film doesn't necessarily yield "better" - purpose makes a difference. Would strongly second the suggestion of using a well known and regarded, independent shop that strictly and solely focuses on this space.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page