Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum (https://www.cayenneforums.com/forum/)
-   Porsche Cayenne Exterior Modifications Forum (https://www.cayenneforums.com/forum/porsche-cayenne-exterior-modifications-forum/)
-   -   Ceramic coating (https://www.cayenneforums.com/forum/porsche-cayenne-exterior-modifications-forum/22534-ceramic-coating.html)

marcoguidi 06-13-2020 06:58 PM

Ceramic coating

I am about to take delivery of my 2020 Cayenne Quartzite Gray Metallic. Anyone have any good/bad experience with ceramic coating? I am so scared that even a reputable detailer that has done Ferrari and Maserati will screw it up. When I bought my 2012 MB ML 550 in 2012 ceramic coatings were not a thing and the paint job on that car is the worst together with the G-tronic.

steuerman 06-14-2020 03:59 PM

Consider Xpel?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

luckyguy 06-16-2020 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcoguidi (Post 38450)
I am about to take delivery of my 2020 Cayenne Quartzite Gray Metallic. Anyone have any good/bad experience with ceramic coating? I am so scared that even a reputable detailer that has done Ferrari and Maserati will screw it up. When I bought my 2012 MB ML 550 in 2012 ceramic coatings were not a thing and the paint job on that car is the worst together with the G-tronic.

Hello. I took delivery of my 2020 Cayenne S Coupe a couple of months ago. I had Modesta ceramic coating as well as Xpel protective film put on. The ceramic coating is amazing and I would highly recommend it. My car requires no real washing and no waxing. I simply rinse any dirt off the car and wipe down with a waterless spray and the shine is like a mirror. If your dealer has an experienced ceramic coating guy you should have nothing to worry about.

gw7 06-17-2020 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyguy (Post 38456)
Hello. I took delivery of my 2020 Cayenne S Coupe a couple of months ago. I had Modesta ceramic coating as well as Xpel protective film put on. The ceramic coating is amazing and I would highly recommend it. My car requires no real washing and no waxing. I simply rinse any dirt off the car and wipe down with a waterless spray and the shine is like a mirror. If your dealer has an experienced ceramic coating guy you should have nothing to worry about.

The debate goes on about ceramic coating. The brush on /spray on is not really ceramic coating, in that actual ceramic coating with require 1500 degrees Celsius. e.g., liquid glass

Ceramic coating is a very loosely applied term, not as bad as bonded leather, but close. I did the ceramic coating, Mothers. CMX. Granted the nano particles are hydrophobic, repels water. But is it a wax suspension, that will wear off. IMHO, twice an year good quality wax just a s good.

Also "Wax on Wax off." No need to go to the gym.

Penstamin 06-17-2020 06:49 PM

Personally, I'd go to a independent professional rather than have the coating done at your dealership. That's a
generalization, I know but mirrors what I've read online on the topic. Make sure you buy an established brand from an authorized installer who'll stand by the work 100%. Matt Mormon on his Obsessed Garage site and YT channel has a lot about coatings and he's very unbiased from what I've read and watched. Good luck with the new Cayenne 👍 😀 👌

marcoguidi 08-11-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luckyguy (Post 38456)

So how are you liking the coating? She finally arrived and here in Honolulu the ceramic job runs about 1700$ the whole car protective film 6k$. Acceptable?

justme 08-29-2020 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marcoguidi (Post 38790)
So how are you liking the coating? She finally arrived and here in Honolulu the ceramic job runs about 1700$ the whole car protective film 6k$. Acceptable?

Pricing opinion would be speculative and market may play too much of a factor. If you’re going to have the ceramic coating done - just make sure that the person doing it, was the one trained and certified for application by the ceramic coating manufacturer. Regardless of the route you go and even on a new vehicle - would have a full comprehensive paint correction performed. In contrast, the paint prep is magnitudes more significant than the ceramic coating and/or film that is applied.

At some point, there's the pragmatic artifact that there's no silver bullet and there will be trade-offs (ceramic v. film v. ceramic + film). Ceramic + film doesn't necessarily yield "better" - purpose makes a difference. Would strongly second the suggestion of using a well known and regarded, independent shop that strictly and solely focuses on this space.