Oil Consumption - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Oil Consumption

I have a 2017 Cayenne S with 5,500 miles. I have to fill a quart of Mobile 1 0W40 oil every 500 miles.
Is this normal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-17-2018, 08:26 AM

I have a 2012 Cayenne S Hybrid with 138k miles on it and I am adding a quart of oil about every 4k miles, although it varies with driving style. When I spend a lot of time running the car 3k+ rpm it will go through oil faster than when I keep it below 2k.

While I would say your experience isn't normal, I know when I was chatting with the service manager at my dealer about adding 2, sometimes 3 quarts between the 10k oil changes, he did say to me that he knew of vehicles that were taking a quart of oil every 1-2k miles and they didn't have anywhere near the mileage that my vehicle did. He said it all depends on driving style (rpms) and temperatures.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-20-2018, 08:43 PM

Always make sure your dipstick is reading correctly. Make sure it is the correct one for your engine spec.
If it doesn't insert far enough and therefore gives a false "low," you could be overfilling and the excess is just burning off.
I know this is unlikely with modern molded-handle dipsticks, but overfilling can have bad consequences.

Associated question - do you wait a sufficient amount of time to check your levels?

Your reported consumption is probably accurate, but since this is a forum, it's good to remind readers of a surprisingly common source of oil consumption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page