Setting DATE in 2004 PCM - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-22-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Setting DATE in 2004 PCM

The date displayed in the MAIN screen shows 03-24-2002 and I have done an exhaustive search, including having Porsche mechanics attempt to change it with no luck. The most recent comment was "we can't do anything about it"

Within the settings area, the time, 12/24 hour, and date format can be set/changed - but not the date itself.

One mechanic suggested that when the NAVI was active, the GPS satellite system would automatically set the date as part of it, but that hasn't happened.

Anyone experience or experiencing this? Anyone figured out or know of a fix?

I've traveled all over the world, and nothing opens the door to conversation faster than saying "I have a Porsche"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-29-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE: Year "magically" changed from 2002 to 1998, and then 2 days later the date has totally disappeared from the PCM display. .and has now been gone for over a week.. At least I'm not distracted by it anymore...

I've traveled all over the world, and nothing opens the door to conversation faster than saying "I have a Porsche"
post #3 of 6 Old 07-07-2019, 01:51 PM

I have the same issue with my 2008 Cayenne S. The wrong date showed up and I discovered there is no setting to change it. I did change the time zone from EST to Moscow time and the date was then correct until a couple of days later. Changed the time zone again. This time to a very difficult to pronounce place that I have no idea where it is and it has shown correctly for a few days. I'm still researching this issue. I sure would like to hear the factory's rationale on why they declined to include a date and year setting.
post #4 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
UPDATE!!! I took the car in to have the transmission main seal (torque converter seal) replaced, and they disconnected the battery.. for a week or so while the transmission was out, parts were ordered, etc. When I picked it up last Monday...SURPRISE ...date, time, temp, and even compass arrow and directions were displaying on the dash!!!! The maps aren't up to date, but I'm not ready for that expense, and there really isn't anywhere I travel that I don't already know or have directions.
All that being said -- disconnect the battery for a day and see what happens when you reconnect it.

post #5 of 6 Old 07-12-2019, 04:26 PM

Nice, should I install a battery maintainer while the battery is disconnected? That would seem to defeat the purpose. How does the car run after eliminating all the settings? Does it relearn everything or did the dealership reflash the computer? They may have more up to date software which may explain why the radio is now in sync with the Atomic clock. My battery is under the front seat, is there a remote place that would effectively disconnect it? I think my research has uncovered a lot of B.S. The tech team at SiriusXM told me that the battery in the radio itself may be bad. I didn't know car radios/Nav systems had their own batteries to maintain presets etc. Never heard of anyone having to put a new battery in their car radio. I believe that the date/time should be set by by the VLF signal from the Atomic clock in Colorado. That explains how DST is automatically set. Switching time zones stopped working for me and now the date, in any format is gone. The local Porsche Dealership told me that I was the seventh person to ask about this issue. They are also researching this. It seems to be only the older XM radios, not the newer SiriusXM units.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-18-2019, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Disconnect your car's battery, if only for a few hours. It should be long enough that when reconnected, the PCM would reset as it connects with the satellites, giving the right time, date, compass, and GPS locations. Mine was disconnected for about two weeks while the car was on a lift in the shop and the transmission was being repaired. If disconnecting the battery for a bit is sufficient to allow the PCM to reset, then you've fixed the problem without incurring a labor charge from the shop!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page