MPG drop from 30 to 13.5 with 4k lb trailer - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 07-06-2020, 02:01 AM Thread Starter

MPG drop from 30 to 13.5 with 4k lb trailer

Hi guys, new here, would like to get some input from you guys and just to confirm if these readings are normal. I have a 2013 Cayenne Diesel that I just took on a 3000 mile round trip to pick up a toy hauler, Coachmen 17blse rated at 3700lb. So my first 1500 miles to the dealership turned avg 30mpg, on the way back with the trailer I hit avg 13.5. IS that normal for 3700lb toy hauler??? I mean thats almost a 60% drop, how is that possible? okay add some water in there, the thing is 4000lb max. I can still live with 13.5mpg but just don't understand how it decreased by so much, any inputs appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 07-06-2020, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Wu View Post
Hi guys, new here, would like to get some input from you guys and just to confirm if these readings are normal. I have a 2013 Cayenne Diesel that I just took on a 3000 mile round trip to pick up a toy hauler, Coachmen 17blse rated at 3700lb. So my first 1500 miles to the dealership turned avg 30mpg, on the way back with the trailer I hit avg 13.5. IS that normal for 3700lb toy hauler??? I mean thats almost a 60% drop, how is that possible? okay add some water in there, the thing is 4000lb max. I can still live with 13.5mpg but just don't understand how it decreased by so much, any inputs appreciated.

To first order has mileage is a function of weight and second order to driving style & aerodynamics.

Wet(curb) weight is 4800lbs -> 30 mpg

Weight with trailer is 8500 lbs (77% increase) -> 17 mpg

Further subtract worse aerodynamics and you're within shouting distance of 13.5 mpg.
post #3 of 3 Old 07-07-2020, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

So its normal? I was having trouble keeping up with traffic and semi on the road when going uphill, Flat is fine but working hard, as soon as there is an incline the car struggles, down shifting to 6, then 5th. I mean it just feels under powered. Now how is that possible with 4k trailer and people are towing 6k plus items and still praising the car??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page