Considering Lo-mile 04 Turbo - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 05-29-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Considering Lo-mile 04 Turbo

Hi all, I'm likely another 1st timer asking for pre-purchase guidance on a low mile 04 FS locally. Any overall thoughts on how maddening a gen1 turbo will make me with reliability?

I already drive a Jag daily so one more...well...thanks for any input on sore spots and what to expect on a sub 50k mile 04.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-05-2019, 07:00 PM

Garage
I picked up an 04 turbo with 135,000....other than having odd brand/oversize tires that cost me a grand to replace, including alignment, all seemed well. 2500 miles later I noticed a good sized stain in the driveway....although all the recalls have been done, apparently the damage had taken place....it's now on a rack having the torque converter main seal replaced....take note..it's not an uncommon problem with the 04's!! Other than that there's been no other problems.

I've traveled all over the world, and nothing opens the door to conversation faster than saying "I have a Porsche"
post #3 of 4 Old 06-05-2019, 07:52 PM

Do a quick search for Porsche 955 known issues. There is a lot of info out there about what to be aware of. There are problems with the engine cooling pipes on the V8 and if it hasn't already been been addressed, it's a costly repair bill. Cardan-shaft and engine mounts should be replaced around 100K miles. Not to expensive if you have a good independent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-18-2019, 11:54 PM

Garage
Update .........found an independent transmission repair shop who specializes in European brands - after I got two different stories from persons at the Porsche dealer! One said "We don't do Cayenne transmissions" and the other (not knowing I'd spoken with anyone else) said "The part you need is obsolete, and we can't get one" ........

Funny......I found them all over the internet! OEM too!! I believe the Porsche dealer didn't want to do the work, or they were being really nice guys so I wouldn't pay their dealership exhorbitant labor rate!! The part runs $40-42. The labor at an independent shop is right at $1200, no doubt a fraction of what the dealership would charge.

Seal arrived in 3 days. Seal installed, transmission serviced (new filter, pan, etc.). During the reassembly process, the front left catalytic converter suffered a catastrophic failure ......and literally disintegrated in the mechanics hands as he was fitting it in place! Knowing the car was originally sold in Michigan, I suspect that winter driving with the salts, etc., on the road no doubt contributed to the failure. The shop called the Porsche dealer. They quoted $1800. I'm thinking they either wouldn't sell just one and they wanted to sell the entire assembly.

While at the shop, I Googled "2004 Cayenne Turbo catalytic converter" and came up with [URL="https://www.mufflerexpress.com"/][URL]. They have the full assembly as well as the individual converters, along with every other exhaust part for the Cayenne (and all other models!). $259.00, with free shipping and a 2-4 day delivery east of the Mississippi!! They also give a military discount for any of you who are veterans, which brought the total cost to just over $246. ....and it should be here by Friday!

My wife says (bless her....) that spending a few bucks to get everything taken care of only increases the ultimate resale value of the car....

I've traveled all over the world, and nothing opens the door to conversation faster than saying "I have a Porsche"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page