Towing Capacity Confusion - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 12-20-2019, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Towing Capacity Confusion

Hello,

In my search for a Mark I Cayenne, I have been keeping my eye out for which ones have a tow hitch. No one has been able to clear this up for me thus far however. Every single Cayenne has the 7,700 towing capacity, correct?

For example, there are not ones that have automatic transmission coolers and ones that do not. Each one would have the wiring under the dash for the brake controller and the 7-pin wiring connector or wiring somewhere near the back of the car?

It would likely be worth it to spend the extra bit to just have all of that pre-installed by finding the right one, but I just needed that clarified.

Thanks so much!

Last edited by RoosterMotorsports; 12-20-2019 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 12-26-2019, 03:39 AM

I am familiar with our Mk2 (2015), and I believe the tow package is similar on the Mk1.

There is a very big chassis difference with the factory tow package. Do not add a non -Porsche hitch, because it wil nave nothing of substance to attach to.

The factory hitch costs about $550 when factory installed, but the same hitch, if bought and installed later, is about $2500.

The reason is that the entire lower back of the car must be removed to replace the cross-member that's part of the hitch setup. There may also be some reprogramming of an ECU.

Look for one with a factory hitch, or expect to spend $2500 on the real thing.

Also pay attention to the doorpost, that shows "payload." The more trim like pano sunroof, the lower the payload. Your hitch, trailer tongue, gear and occupants need to stay in those limits.

The Cayenne is a great tow vehicle.

Last edited by Searcher; 12-26-2019 at 03:41 AM.
post #3 of 4 Old 12-26-2019, 04:15 AM

You can buy the Porsche Hitch through Suncoast Porsche for about $1,100. Agree it's way ahead of the after market ones in terms of quality.

If you want a brake controller, buy their controller adapter kit. I used a Tekonsha P3 controller. Just follow the directions to make up the wiring from the unit and mount it on the dash. Mine is low on the left side of the steering column.

I used a local independent Porsche shop to install mine, but if you DIY stuff and have the tools, it's really not hard to do. The indy I use for my racecar charged me $250 for the install.

The last item is required for the lights and brakes to work correctly. You need someone with a full Porsche programming tool, usually a dealer, to do the computer update in the car. I got my local dealer to do the update for a 1 hour labor charge, or just less then $200.

I have a 2014 diesel. The diesel pulls the open racing trailer and Cayman racecar just as well as the F150 V8 I was using before. And, it's both a lot more comfortable and, well, doesn't everybody need a Porsche to tow their Porsche racecar?

Good luck with the search!

Dave
2014 Cayenne Platinum Diesel
2006 Cayman S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-17-2020, 06:37 PM

Duuude, i mean are you even serious? Is the towing capacity that important for you? In the case of the cars like porsche cayenne i don't really think that the towing capacity is such an important characteristic for it. I own a 2019 porsche cayenne, mark3, so it's max towing capacity is 7.700 lbs. I don't really think that the mark1 is having the same capacity. I guess it must be a bit lower. I mean surely the towing capacity is important, however in the case of this car, it is not that important, when you buy it you do not get it for towing. In case you need to tow something just call expresstowing.ie and let them do the job. Don't use a 100k luxury suv for this.

Last edited by MrDustin; 11-17-2020 at 06:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page