2006 955 Front Suspension DIY...SUCCESS! - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-12-2020, 05:57 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs up 2006 955 Front Suspension DIY...SUCCESS!

Just completed a DIY front suspension refresh on my 2006 Cayenne 955 because the front tires were balding on the outer edges. Replaced front struts (complete assembly), upper and lower control arms (TRW), sway bar end links (probably unnecessary) as well as brake rotors, hardware and pads. The main issue I had was getting the lower control arm BJ back into the hub mount due to the stiffness of the BJ. It took a lot of frustrating attempts but I was finally able to get both sides to seat properly. It seems that the rubber boot and clamp for the front axle causes clearance issues with the top of the control arm's BJ housing...especially if the clamp's locking "clip" is rotated to the bottom. I almost decided to cut the clamp and boot but then, VOILA...the part dropped into place. It really helps to use cinching straps to "float" the weight of the lower control arm and a jack to adjust height so it's easier to manipulate that heavy chunk of steel...

From my observation, the control arm bushings were a little soft (lower rears were the softest) but the BJ's were totally shot. Struts must've been on the edge too because before the refresh, I could bounce the front by pushing down. After refresh, I can't create ANY motion. No squeaks or creaks and now the vehicle FEELS AWESOME when tracking speed bumps and potholes!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-12-2020, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

BTW, with the standard suspension (non-adjustable), you do NOT have to remove the front fender liners as some DIY's on YouTube state. However, take the time to remove a few of the liner screws to slightly "peel" back the liner (closest to the passenger cabin) to access the drain covers and clear them out. You'll thank me later...

Oops...forgot to mention that I have just over 95k on the OD and it appeared that all the components, including the brakes and rotors, were original!

Last edited by ViolinARC; 11-12-2020 at 06:49 PM.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-18-2020, 08:15 PM Thread Starter

Just re-read my post and realized I meant that the brake's calipers, fittings and rotors were original...DOH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 11-19-2020, 09:54 AM

Use Bilstein? I have a set of b4 bilsteins and corteco mounts for install if anyone is looking in Allentown pa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page