2013 DIY Oil Change - Is there a how to guide on line? - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-26-2019, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

2013 DIY Oil Change - Is there a how to guide on line?

Hey Guys, thanks for any help on this..

I just changed my oil for the second time since buying my 2013 6 months ago.

Each time I've done it, it's nearly impossible to perform this task without creating a rather large and embarrassing "oil spill" all over your work area. The filter holder is located in the worst possible place to access without spilling oil.
I've discovered you can drain it first from the small plug before removing, and use drop cloths to catch the flood, but **** that doesn't make it easy for the DIY-er.

Any way, this last change, after the engine was drained I sealed everything up, and accessed the oil level menu in preparation for refilling it. It indicated the oil level as full... and "OK" despite being empty.

This made me a bit uneasy, as there is no apparent "dip stick" to check the good old fashioned way. I filled it back up with the standard 7-8 quarts of mobile 1, and it seems to be fine, but
has anyone else experienced this issue? Last time, it said it was empty and rose as i filled it.

Is there a possible hidden dip stick? or a second drain plug i am forgetting?
I've searched for videos on line, and every one i have found is slightly different than the last.

thanks in advance for any advice.
-John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 01-02-2020, 03:35 AM

Yes, there is a way for less messy oil change

Here is what I do. I use a zip-lock bag to drain the oil from the bottom of the oil filter. I do use ramps to raise the vehicle. It gives me sufficient space under the vehicle to hold the bag straight up under and around the filter while I am lying on a coaster.

As for the oil level, I ordered a conventional dipstick, which is made for older Audi Q7 or VW Touaregs with 3.6L V6 engine (https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/...3H115607B.html). Throw away that dummy plug and replace it with the dipstick

The 3.6L engine takes 7.04 quarts of oil.

Let us know if this works.
post #3 of 3 Old 01-02-2020, 04:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to Bill-banger Send a message via MSN to Bill-banger Send a message via Yahoo to Bill-banger
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodurgali View Post
Here is what I do. I use a zip-lock bag to drain the oil from the bottom of the oil filter. I do use ramps to raise the vehicle. It gives me sufficient space under the vehicle to hold the bag straight up under and around the filter while I am lying on a coaster.

As for the oil level, I ordered a conventional dipstick, which is made for older Audi Q7 or VW Touaregs with 3.6L V6 engine (https://parts.vw.com/p/Volkswagen__/...3H115607B.html). Throw away that dummy plug and replace it with the dipstick

The 3.6L engine takes 7.04 quarts of oil.

Let us know if this works.
I too got the dipstick and housing that was for the Touareg, less than $30 IIRC. Several online sources. As for the oil mess, even using a ziplock bag(or any big plastic bag), it is hard not to spill some.. I have a MaxJax lift so my car is up in the air and I have a roll-around oil can with funnel like the big boys use to catch the oil, so I do manage to keep it off the floor, but once the drain plug is removed from the oil filter housing the oil will stream down and hit the steering rack and then run over to the frame. I just keep my funnel underneath this and when everything quits dripping I use brake cleaner to spray everything down clean again. The oil filter will not come out inside the housing, as I'm sure you've discovered, so I separate the two and remove each piece between the rack and the oilpan. Porsche might have designed this differently but the V-6 is a VW engine so they had to deal with what they were given I guess. I've changed to oil in two Cayennes combined about 8-9 times, and never been able to keep it off the rack. The problem with the plastic bag is the oil is HOT and even with gloves on it is uncomfortable to do it this way. I do use a bag for removing the filter on my Cayman since there is no drain plug in its housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page