Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

Help with wiring 7 way trailer light connector

8K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  fstdy 
#1 ·
I can’t find any plug and play t-harnesses for the 16 cayenne. Has anyone wired a 7 way trailer lighting kit with success? What one and how did you do so. Thanks

#4 ·
If you have the factory installed trailer hitch, you will find a square, plastic cover with a screw in each corner to the left of the hitch. Remove the cover (first the 4 screws, then the latch holding the cover to the socket) and you will find a European 7 pin socket. Your dealer or a VW dealer or online at a place like Suncoast or etrailer.com will sell you a Pollak Replacement 7-Pole, RV-Style Trailer Connector Socket - Vehicle End - PK11893 which will plug into the European connector and screw right where the cover was with the same screws. This will give you a covered, standard 7 pin trailer connection. If you need to connect a 4 pin trailer connector to it, get an adapter to go from 7 to 4 pins like a 7-Way to 5-Way/4-Way Trailer Adapter for Vehicles with Lamp-Out Sensors Towing Trailers with LEDs. If your trailer uses LEDs it can play havoc with your Cayenne's lamp-out sensor so I recommend getting an adapter that can handle the LEDs even if your current trailer doesn't have them.

#5 ·
2017 cayenne base. I have the curt hitch put on last week. The wiring seems a mystery to my mechanic. He wants me to get the actual porsche item and not the Tekonsha,Curt or other after-market brands (ie uhaul can install one of these). When I showed him the plug wiring trailer harness he thought that couldnt be correct. SO, am I correct that the process is install the plug type harness (Wire Harness - Porsche (958-612-506-00) put the Trailer Plug Harness Mount (7 pin) into that and then the Trailer Light Adapter Kit (converts 7 to 4/5 pin) into that - ending in a 4-way so I can use a uhaul trailer! please help .. thanks

#6 ·
Hello, On my 2016 base,
I did initially have the CURT 59236 Multi-Function Splice-in Trailer Tail Light Converter Kit with 4-Pin Wiring Harness installed which worked well for lights only.

I recently decided to add the factory hitch & towing module Part # 7P0907383F . I understand the F is an earlier version of this module.
Both came from used 2015 VW Touareg from a wrecker. Installed both myself and after plugging in the towing module, as mentioned on other forums, everything worked as expected(lights, power to my trailer and the alarm feature when harness gets unplugged from the cars connector while locked/armed. Since it was a used unit I assume it was already programmed, however I intend to have a dealer check it to ensure transmission and cooling functions are proper, when I get there, as my closest dealer is a fair drive away.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.