Oil Level Help - Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 11-06-2020, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

Oil Level Help

Hi all, we have a 2017 Cayenne (non-turbo) here in Canada. Just did my first oil change and the level was right at full. About 2 weeks after, we got a message that it was too full and I should visit the service centre. Popped the hood, removed the oil filler cap (don't know why, like I was going to see something). The seems to reset the computer. After driving for a bit it tells us the oil is at the full mark, then a few days later it will come back with too full again. Am I really too full? Should I drain some oil? Seems so strange to me that it was fine for a few weeks after and then started reporting this issue. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-08-2020, 06:12 PM

I get the same warning in my 2016 SEH during the winter months. In researching I found that I needed to get the engine up to temperature, basically run it on the highway. Do not know if regular ICE powered Cayenne's have the same issue - fuel getting past the rings and into your oil.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-16-2020, 04:48 PM Thread Starter

I finally put her up on blocks and drained out about quart. All seems fine now. I guess at the next oil change, I'll put in 6 quarts and keep 1 with me, to top up after a few days and we can get real reading.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 11-18-2020, 09:20 PM

For peace of mind, just get an engine oil dipstick and check your oil level that way. I bought one for my 2013 Cayenne Base; it is actually an Audi oil dipstick used on Audi vehicles with 3.6L V6 engine.
post #5 of 6 Old 11-25-2020, 08:18 PM
gw7

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hi all, we have a 2017 Cayenne (non-turbo) here in Canada. Just did my first oil change and the level was right at full. About 2 weeks after, we got a message that it was too full and I should visit the service centre. Popped the hood, removed the oil filler cap (don't know why, like I was going to see something). The seems to reset the computer. After driving for a bit it tells us the oil is at the full mark, then a few days later it will come back with too full again. Am I really too full? Should I drain some oil? Seems so strange to me that it was fine for a few weeks after and then started reporting this issue. Thanks...
I bet you have not driven the Cayenne at highway speeds for about an hour?

Same thing happened to me. You did the right thing by removing and reinstalling the oil filler cap. Next step: drive the car for about hour at highway speeds. Cold weather condensation buildup will give this error.

Thank Porsche for saving 99cts per car for themselves for omitting the dip stick.
post #6 of 6 Old 11-25-2020, 08:19 PM
gw7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodurgali View Post
For peace of mind, just get an engine oil dipstick and check your oil level that way. I bought one for my 2013 Cayenne Base; it is actually an Audi oil dipstick used on Audi vehicles with 3.6L V6 engine.
I tried this. But the dip stick tube is too small.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page