Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought my first cayenne. 03 Twin turbo with 123 kilometers. It was sitting for sometime looks like. It has some what I think are minor issues. Once inawhile the air suspension flashes on the dash and says service air suspension, also I believe the oil temp sensor sending unit is bad and I believe that is also giving me an oil level monitoring light to service now as well. That's all good not too worried about those issues, but I am also getting lean codes at idle and the occasional idle air control code. Also hearing a sucking noise and there is quite a heavy vacuum under the oil cap at idle. I am getting smoke occasionally from the tailpipes sometimes blue, sometimes white. Usually just before the turbos spool up on acceleration I get a puff of blue then clears up, and at idle, nothing wot or when i let off. The exhaust smells like a mix of too rich and a hint of burning oil once in awhile maybe like a bad catalytic converter as well. I am 60 percent sure my it is my oil air separator and possibly check valve as well. I am consuming a small amount of oil half quart in 4 tanks approx. Am I on the right track? Definitely seems like a vacuum leak and with the smoke I am leaning towards oil air separator

·
Registered
20 Posts
CONGRATS on the score! My new-to-me $4k Cayenne is an '06 with the baby V6...ROFL! At first I was wishing for the V8 and air adjustable suspension but after doing more research, realized this is the "bulletproof" engine and easy to replace suspension! Already put thousands of trouble free miles on the OD and find this machine a real pleasure to drive over long distances AND in-town...WOOHOO!

You have a bunch of things which are probably causing a cascade of issues. For the smoke, sucking sound (vacuum leak) and heavy vacuum at the oil cap, just a guess but fme with BMW, sounds like classic PCV or OSV failure. Are you getting lean codes AND misfires? That could be plugs or coil related...OR it could be directly associated with a failed PCV, OSV or clogged ICV.

Easy check for the cat...does it rattle when you "tap" it with a rubber mallet? Does the exhaust smell like rotten eggs? If not, then most likely, cats are still good because failure is usually related to the honeycomb breaking loose inside the can and that makes noise.

Replace the oil temp sensor if you have a code. I also recall reading something about oil level code issues after an oil change...at this mileage, change 'em both imo.

Not sure but you must have an ICV since you're getting a code. It gets clogged up over time. For the BMW's, ppl simply use electronic cleaner or brake cleaner to get the valve unstuck...voila!

I don't have the air suspension (thank God...LOL) but fmr, you most likely have a failing pump due to internal rust. I've read several posts regarding this issue...RIPTA.

Sounds like you know how to troubleshoot and most of these issues are DIY-able so break out the tool box and get to wrenching...LOL! Remember to post your final experience...thanks and good luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ok guys got around to repairing the vacuum leak and oil air separator diaphragm. What i found was both check valve and oil air separator diaphragm were still in good condition, the hose was broken just below check valve but replaced check valve and diapgram anyways.

As for the vacuum leak there are many! But the biggest one was under the plenum where the clip had been lost and the 3 way vacuum hose was rubbed through on the top pulley!! I highly recommend checking this first!!! Cheap and easy to fix! Also the hose is damaged on the vacuum fitting under the plenum which needs replacing and the plenum itself is sucking air where it attaches to throttlebody! Terrible and cheap way for porsche to attach something like that! The plenum has been wrestled off before and no longer seals poperly it seems. I repaired the 3 way vacuum hose with a 3 way brass fitting and small lengths of hoses with clamps. Also zap strapped it to the plenum for now to keep the hoses clear of the pulley.

I found a lot of oil in the intercooler piping so now cleaning the intake of oil residue is my next project and then checking turbo bearings and dealing with plugged primary cats due to heavy oil consumption, replacing valve cover gaskets and also the dried up one on top of the valve cover, and changing plugs and checking for oil on the coils is all next

1 - 4 of 4 Posts