Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am considering buying a 2008 Cayenne twin turbo. It has 120,000 miles. How concerned do I need to be about the mileage? I do not want to have any problems. Would this be considered high mileage for a Cayenne twin turbo? How many miles will they last?

Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I am considering buying a 2008 Cayenne twin turbo. It has 120,000 miles. How concerned do I need to be about the mileage? I do not want to have any problems. Would this be considered high mileage for a Cayenne twin turbo? How many miles will they last?

Appreciate any help you can give.

Thanks
I’m looking to buy too and been looking at the ML63 AMG as well as the Cayenne. My thought on high-mileage vehicles (100,000+ miles) of this type is they are worthless, their resale value is nothing. At least to the average man that is, if you’re a Porsche mechanic (or very naive) than maybe it’s worth something to you?

A high-mile Honda or Toyota are something else. You can get a 100k mile Honda and put another 200k miles on it with nothing more than oil changes. Vehicles of this type are worth something to someone.

I mean who in their right mind would buy such an expensive to maintain vehicle with 100,000+ miles on the clock? Sure you can own a plus $100k vehicle for a small investment but then consider the cost to maintain, it’s still a $100k vehicle and the cost of maintenance is that of a $100k vehicle, it’s not a $30k Honda.

What makes me an expert? Well just over a year ago I purchased an 2006 BMW M5 (V10 507hp, top speed 205 MPH) with 70k on the clock. It wasn’t until after my purchase I did the research; $1,200 to change the spark plugs, $350 oil changes, brakes are in the thousands, basicly it's a race car and that’s just regular maintenance. The V10 M5 also has it’s issues with rod bearing failure and transmission problems that could cost you in the $10s of thousands of dollars to fix. It’s not uncommon on the M5 Forum to read of guys spending $10k-$20k a year just to keep the thing running.

Now at 85k miles I’m going to have a harder time selling my M5 than if it had 40k miles. Sure I paid $30k for $100k car but you pay for it one way or another. You ether purchase new and take the cost up-front, or pay for it in the end.

That all being said, I wouldn’t buy any Cayenne with more than 50k miles (me personally). Also the higher the miles, the more expensive any extended warranty. Ha! I called around for an extended warranty on my M5 and most companies didn’t even list a program for the M5 and the others wanted $3k-$4k for only 1year/12k miles.

I was just reading over on the M5 Forum about V10 engine failure at 86k miles, it’s going to cost the owner about $15k to fix with a used engine and a whole bunch of hassle because the work would have to be done out-of-state because there is only one guy that does this type of work for that cheap. BMW would charge in excess of $30k.

I've seen many examples of show-room kept M5s with blown engines that all is left is to part it out. Such a shame as to the fate of a remarkably engineered vehicle.

Anyway if someone were to give me a Cayenne Turbo with 120,000+ miles for free, I’d think twice about it. In the example above, even if someone gave him the M5 for free, how would you feel about spending $15k on a car that is still worth nothing…

Sure you could part it out and sell it on eBay but who has time for that hassle?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts