Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a beautiful 2013 diesel, my first Cayenne and my first Porsche of any kind. I custom ordered it and loaded it up with just about everything, except I kept the standard suspension and brakes per my dealer's advice.

Also the first time I bought a car without an oil disptsick! Is there a dipstick hidden somewhere, not mentioned in the owner's manual?

Has anyone posted an oil change procedure?

The manual says to use 5W-30 oil for all temperatures. This is lower viscosity than my other conventional German cars (BMW and Mercedes), where I use 0W-40. I drive in a hot climate: is 5W-30 the concenus right choice?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Diesel (compression) engines use a different type of engine oil than do gasoline (ignition) engines, and in this case must be labeled with the Porsche C30 rating approval. The "C" reflects that it's got the soot suspension additives required of a compression engine. This is also reflected by the API classification (CI-4) found on the label. The "30" reflects the viscosity specification.

I doubt your owner manual has been updated, there's a major change to the oil change interval. Since we must change oil and filter every 5000 miles now - and since oil changes cost $250 and up at the dealer - I use the oil extractor method. A small diameter hose goes down the (former) dipstick tube, and the oil is sucked out by vacuum. You can also change it conventionally from the bottom, but that involves first removing 14 bolts that fasten two under-engine cover pieces.

That said, my first Cayenne oil change was a learning experience. I used the extractor incorrectly, and didn't get out all the old oil. That then caused a subsequent over-fill with new oil. The electronic dip stick is very slow, so it took quite a while to get the level correct. I'm currently waiting for my independent Porsche tech to come up with a correct and reasonably priced dipstick to be used for oil changes only.

Regarding the procedure itself, several of us have already posted. You should have no difficulty finding the threads with the search engine on this and other Porsche/Cayenne/turbo diesel web sites.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
grohgeg,
Thanks for the reply. I actually tried to search on "oil" in this forum and the turbo form and got zero hits. I think the search engine at this forum does not work. I read through the posts and did find where you said you use Mobile 5W-30 ESP. Did you ever find a diptsick?

At another forum (TDI) I found a lot more information. They show a photo of where the real dipstick is located. The Porsche comes with a cap over the dipstick tube, but a real dipstick could be installed. There is a lot of debate about the best method to change oil: drain or withdraw. On my new Mercedes they recommend withdraw. Not only is it easier but also removes more oil than draining. I admit the first time I did it on the MB I could not get all the oil out, but once you get the hose in the right position this works well.

I also found online a document from VW that lists all the approved oils for the TDI engine, of which one is the Mobile 1 ESP. My owners manual says to change the oil every 10K miles, but many people say to change at 5K miles. I found a Porsche service bulletin online that says 5K miles also.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Didn't find a proper dipstick, will have to get by with a universal; $9 on eBay. Don't recall saying anything about "Mobile", but you got the 5W30 part right. I use Pennzoil Ultra Euro L. My first CD oil extraction was a learning process, I'll get better with time. Seems there's a baffle the extraction tube must pass thru to get to the bottom of the sump. Using the wrong diameter tube - or missing the hole thru the baffle - will cause an incomplete extraction. I assumed I'd sucked the sump dry, and added the the specified quantity of oil. This over-filled the sump AND contaminated the fresh oil with residual old. I eventually got it right, but that particular 30 minute oil change turned into a weekend project

·
Registered
116 Posts
I gave up on the extraction method, almost certainly the fault of the type extractor I bought (compressor-driven off eBay). For a lot less money I installed a Fumoto valve in place of the OE drain plug. Should have done that in the first place, now I have to get rid of the extractor somehow. With the Fumoto, all I have to do is drop the rearmost underpanel and flip open the valve. Dead simple

·
Registered
1 Posts
Easy extraction oil change

I did an oil change on a 2015 Cayenne Diesel using the extraction method using a MityVac through the dip stick tube. It was quick and easy. I got out 7.7 liters on first attempt. Changing the oil filter was equally easy. Start to finish was about 30 min. The only problem is clearing the oil service reminder. I bought a Durametric. It does about half of what it is suppose to do, and has not been able to clear the code. I will call Durametric customer support tomorrow, but do not have much hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thread revival...I just picked up a 13 Cayenne diesel and it only has 22k miles,and just educating myself on some of the maintenance. This is my 3rd TDI and have done all my own maintenance. I've always just removed the under pan and removed and replaced the drain plug with a new plug. But I've always been interested in the extraction method. I own a MityVac is there anything extra I need to use the MityVac? I was going to use the Mobil1 ESP oil. Was going to pick up 2 oil filters,2 air filters,a cabin filter and a fuel filter. Does anyone know why oil changes are at 5k miles and the same motor in a Q5-7 is 10k miles? Thanks for any info!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have any info? Is there another forum that is more helpful on technical issues for the Cayenne? thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts