Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone: I am new to this forum, here is my first post. :)

I am in the process of ordering my first Porsche and have come to you for advice before I finalize my deal.

Firstly, my driving habits are very mild, I only drive to work and the gym daily, no highway driving at all.

I am wondering if I should order the Basic V6 or the S (V8)?

Here is list of the options I currently have on my Cayenne, your opinions on the options would be appreciated. Do you recommend these options or think I need to add or remove some. :) I have until October 18th to make changes,

2014 Cayenne Triptronic (V6 or V8 undecided) 15.000 Canadian increase for S
Premium Plus Package
Bose Audio Package
Metallic Paint (Classic Silver)
Exterior Package in Black High Gloss
Delete Model Designation
Fuel Filler Cap w/aluminum look finish
Panoramic Roof System
Roof Rails in Black
Porsche Entry and Drive
Heated Windshield
PASM
20" Sport Wheels (all season tires)
Wheel hub Covers with colored Porsche Crests
14 way Power seats with memory package
Porsche crest on front and rear head rests
Armrest on front console with Porsche Crest
Stainless steel door entry guards, illuminated
Voice Control
4 way climate control
Compass display
Porsche Car connect
Extended LED comfort Lighting Package

The quote is on the Base V6 model

I look forward to your advice.
Wanda

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had voice control on a 2011 Touareg. It was used almost exclusively for making phone calls. Using Siri on my iPhone through the Cayenne Bose system does the same thing. I have a non-skid phone mat on the dash in front of the center speaker, so it's simply a matter of reaching over to push the Siri button.

My PCM has a compass built in, which also remotes automatically to the MFD. The PCM has LED comfort lighting package as well, I think it comes with the Premium Plus package. Seems a shame to waste money on a shiny filler cap, when it's covered by the fuel filling door about 99.99% of the time. Didn't waste money on the colored wheel hub crests either. Didn't waste money on the color wheel hub crest either. Got a set on eBay for $20 instead. Plastic is plastic. Even at $20, the Chinese knock-offs are much better looking than the standard silver and black that Porsche sticks on there. Over a year later the knock-offs still look like new.

Wish I had spent the extra to have clear wrap installed though. The front of this car is a bug magnet; nose, lighting covers, leading edge of the hood, A-pillars, leading edge of the roof, side mirror housings. They're all a real PITA to keep clean. I can still have those areas wrapped, but only after the additional cost of fixing all the little paint chips.

No plans to tow? It's a lot cheaper to order it with the car than to retrofit after the fact.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Greg:

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post, I will take your advice and order the Porsche crests off ebay. :)

I do not plan on towing with the Cayenne, I guess the only way I would use the towing mechanism is if I had to pull someone out of a snow bank :)

The "shark skin" protection is offered here in Ontario, it's 1200.00 plus tax at the Porsche dealer. They apparently treat the entire car including wheels, windows and interior. I was going to get my Porsche detailed annually with a shop locally but perhaps I should get the Shark skin as you indicated in your post.?

Greg, do you have PASM on your Porsche? If yes, do you use it? I figure it will be good during the winter. I was playing with one at the dealer it was fun to raise and lower the truck. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm afraid I gave you somewhat of an incorrect impression, I was referring to the shark-like nose of the Cayenne. The clear plastic skin to protect it goes by several names, ClearBra being merely one. And I'd consult the Yellow Pages. If you have it done at the dealer, that's all they're gonna do; get on the phone and call someone in to do it on-premises. That way they can take a cut. Make arrangements to have the clear stuff professionally installed on your car before you take delivery. Then pick up your new car, and drive it straight to the guys that put this stuff on.

Whatever they're selling in Ontario is NOT what I'm talking about. I think the game they're playing is little more than an insurance policy. You pay them up front for doing absolutely noting, and if you happen sustain any damage within the limits of their coverage, they "fix" it. I'd pass.

I do not have PASM, but wish I did. I was working within a budget when I configured my car. But you've got the wrong impression of PASM as well. Whereas it might be fun to raise and lower the car, it actually has a practical application relative to handling and safety. If I had to do it all over again, I'd re-budget to include PASM.

Regarding the tow package; I think to spec it in your build is something like $750. Given that it costs $2000 or more to do it aftermarket, having it already can only add to the resale/trade value of your vehicle. Kinda like selling a house or condo; kitchen/bathroom upgrades have a major influence in what you can ask come selling time. You may not use it during your ownership, but it will increase the value when it comes time to sell/trade

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent advice

Thank you, I will get on the phone next week and find out about the protective coating. I will also add the tow mechanism for the future owner :)

One final question, do you drive your Cayenne in the snow?
Wanda

·
Registered
116 Posts
Statistically we only average ~10" a year. Last winter only snowed 3 times, less than an inch each time. I can say however that it's pretty sure-footed in slush and ice. I insisted the dealer upgrade the OE Continentals for the premium all weather Michelins

·
Registered
18 Posts
My advice is aways pragmatic for the end user. If you drove the Cayenne base and enjoyed it, then that could be for you. If you don't live in the mountains (like I do) then the 6 cyl may be perfect.

There are other choices as well. There is the diesel which is also a 6 buy gets much better fuel efficiency. It's also faster than the 6 cyl. gas model.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts