Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm following this as one who is interested in possibly buying a Cayenne E-Hybrid, but am planning to wait for the expanded battery pack that will yield 80 km = 50 miles of all-electric range (presumably MY2024), as announced by Porsche CEO Oliver Blume recently (annual March press conference). Even Porsche owners (I bought a new 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid) like to drive in all-electric mode as much as possible locally -- when you're driving a low speeds. While the mixture of electric-motor and ICE power/torque is nice, I think that the real attraction to PHEVs (aside from lower gasoline costs and government rebates/tax credits) is the ability to drive in all-electric at speeds < 45 mph most or all of the time. ICEs are just plain inferior for driving at < 45 mph, and electric motors are vastly superior when driving < 45 mph. Where ICEs shine and are most useful are at speeds > 45 mph (and that's also where electric motors/batteries are much inferior in terms of efficiency and range).

So I'm eager to hear, with the current ca. 18-kWh battery pack, how far a 2022 Cayenne E-Hybrid can actually go on electric-only driving at speeds < 45 mph (which is what many people do in their daily local driving). Once you get up to 60 or 70 or 80 mph, the traction battery will drain much more rapidly due to the laws of physics (air resistance), and experienced PHEV owners know that you change to Hybrid mode when you drive > 45 mph, while keeping it in E-Power (Porsche's all-electric mode for PHEVs) for speeds < 45 mph. So, when talking about all-electric range, it's imperative to give the speeds driven in E-Power mode. No way will you get 25-30 miles of all-electric range in a 2022 E-Hybrid when driving at 75-80 mph; you'll be lucky to get 15 miles at such speeds.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts