Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering buying one. Should I spend an extra 5-7k for less miles on a cayenne or grab this one that has the nav, Bluetooth, parking sensors, drives great, and seems to be have maintained well but has had 2 owners w/ 80k miles? Thoughts are very much appreciated.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You said in another post that the dealer refused to pay for the standard 111 point inspection. Did you think to ask for the CarFax report?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They gave me a copy of another company's report which is similar to the carfax. Everything seems clean. Regular maintenance about every 15,000 miles or so. Do you have access to carfax reports? Not sure of the other company they used,

·
Registered
116 Posts
Well, I've been buying new lately. So I haven't been in a position to ask for one myself. But this is the first I've heard of an equivalent to CarFax. A legitimate one anyway. I'm wondering if it just wasn't the car's service record (?) Those are all in a national database now, so that any dealer can either add to it - or print it out. But that doesn't include accident repair, insurance claims, et cetera. Curious too, that you weren't allowed to keep the report.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They did let me keep the report. Unfortunately I'm out of town and the report is back home. I've been negotiating over the phone after test driving twice. Anyways, I told them no deal w/o the porsche inspection. 23,995 for 08 cayenne s w/ 80k miles. Good deal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
That seems like a great deal. I just bought an 06 S w/100k for $16,900 and it was the best deal i could find around here at moment.

·
Registered
2 Posts
And a lot of dealers have started using Autocheck b/c of all of Carfax's issues w/innacuracies so I wouldnt consider that suspect. You can always pull a carfax also yourself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Nothing wrong with buying a higher mileage car. The mileage is only one way to determine the condition of the car. You have to look at exterior and interior condition, drivetrain health, suspension and chassis damage and health. Previous maintenance is a huge factor. There are basic things to look (check if all the fluids are putrid black or clean and clear). That is the first sign to tell if the car was well maintained or not. I find too often I see used cars being sold as GREAT CONDITION with very little engine oil, black thick brake fluid and slave cylinder fluid, and low coolant. The exterior and interior condition of the car also gives way to how well the car was maintained by previous owners.

If you don't have a good mech, look for one. I wouldn't buy a used car without having a mechanic inspect it. It's hard to convince used car dealers to let you take the car to the mechanic so I make a deal where I buy the car based on visual inspection and a guarantee that the car is in good working condition (no problems with the drivetrain and no damage to the body or transmission) and if I do find problems within the first few days I am allowed to return the car.

It gives you time to take the car to a mechanic or to a trusted porsche dealership to inspect the car.

I've bought from a used car dealer before to find that the transmission was slipping and the engine was running low compression on a compression check. There were a multitude of things wrong with the car. I couldn't return the car and had to sell it at a loss.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think there is nothing wrong with buying a high mileage car, and 80,000 are not that high mileage. It is a very cheap porsche considering that it drives great and has parking sensors and so on, and paying extra 5-7k just for less mileage doesn't make sense. If you have any doubts, have the car inspected by a mechanic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts