Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I decided to hook up a trickle charger pigtail directly to the battery on my wife’s 2018 Cayenne. We leave for several months in the summer and I want to leave it on a Battery Tender. I tried trickle charging through the “emergency” jumper terminals under the hood but the red indicator light never turned green after 14 hours. My thought is that these leads are too long for a trickle charger to be effective. Anyway I watched a couple YouTube videos on battery replacement but they were all on earlier generations of Cayennes. Apparently the design has changed and it’s a royal pain in the ass to get to the battery. Portions of the carpet have to be cut to access the battery cover. Then the clips are in impossible locations to remove. I eventually got things hooked up but wonder how the hell you replace the battery? This generation is new enough that few have probably had to replace their OEM battery. I don’t know how anyone could lift that huge battery straight up to get it out. I’m sure at the dealer it’s a $2000 dollar job!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Update! I connected the Battery tender pigtail directly to the battery terminals and it made no difference. The indicator light was still red after 16 hours of charging. My Battery Tender Junior puts out 750 ma. It works on my BMW 6 series which also has a very large battery. I tried my Schumacher charger which is 1.5 amp and it worked. It even worked from the remote battery terminals under the hood. I’m guessing the battery needs more amps to properly charge it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Your "Junior" should be fine to keep your charge during extended parking - it just needs more time. The 750mA will still go through the multiple charge phases that any of the higher amp maintainers have - just takes longer to bring a battery up from partially charged to fully charged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s what I thought but 16 hours seems long enough? As I mentioned my BMW 6 series also has a monster battery and the light turns green in an hour . Seems odd to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey guys, I decided to hook up a trickle charger pigtail directly to the battery on my wife’s 2018 Cayenne. We leave for several months in the summer and I want to leave it on a Battery Tender. I tried trickle charging through the “emergency” jumper terminals under the hood but the red indicator light never turned green after 14 hours. My thought is that these leads are too long for a trickle charger to be effective. Anyway I watched a couple YouTube videos on battery replacement but they were all on earlier generations of Cayennes. Apparently the design has changed and it’s a royal pain in the ass to get to the battery. Portions of the carpet have to be cut to access the battery cover. Then the clips are in impossible locations to remove. I eventually got things hooked up but wonder how the hell you replace the battery? This generation is new enough that few have probably had to replace their OEM battery. I don’t know how anyone could lift that huge battery straight up to get it out. I’m sure at the dealer it’s a $2000 dollar job!
I do not know about your 2018, but my 2021 has a lithium battery and my old trickle charger would not work. Had to buy a new charger with the specific option of a lithium battery. I use the two post under the hood and it works fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I do not know about your 2018, but my 2021 has a lithium battery and my old trickle charger would not work. Had to buy a new charger with the specific option of a lithium battery. I use the two post under the hood and it works fine.
I was just about to say the same thing. If it has a lithium battery the old charger will not work. I've had great success with Noco Genius products. They have a full range of choices.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How do I know if my 2018 Platinum Edition has a Lithium battery?
There are a number of ways. First, go ask your dealer. Did your car come with the original spec sheet?? Check your owners manual. See if you can find a description on the battery and go to the battery website. Finally, go buy one of these new chargers (Noco Genius) and see if it works (and it most likely well!) They are not that expensive and you do own a Porsche!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts