Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought the Cayenne new in October 2019. Within a few weeks faults started appearing. Over two visits Porsche Glasgow had the vehicle for 16 days. It was returned still with numerous faults. Their service and attitude is atrocious.
Faults suffered, and many still unresolved at time of writin;

No electric drive, petrol only. AGAIN.
Not charging. AGAIN.
Boot lid jams shut. AGAIN.
Rear spoiler not functioning automatically. Intermittent.
Front de-misting is atrocious/slow in heavy weather.
Media system is atrocious.
”Collision Danger” warning appears for no reason on empty roads. AGAIN.
Electric charge point flap opens when driving. AGAIN.
N/S mirror jams in down position after reversing. INTERMITTENT.

I cannot recommend this vehicle, or Porsche Glasgow for their unbelievably atrocious service and lack of interest in my issues with the vehicle they supplied.
THIS IS MY FIFTH PORSCHE, AND IT WILL BE MY LAST.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I admit my hybrid (March 2020) has been a bit of a disaster as well, though I have found Porsche Glasgow very helpful on the phone. I think the problem is that, like me, you have been driving it as an electric vehicle not a Hybrid. Porsche customer service UK tell me that if you don't get the oil up to temperature sufficient to evaporate any fuel that gets in there, then the oil level rises as it becomes contaminated by fuel, and shows "e-power not available." I had to have the oil and filters changed at a cost of £400 after only 2500 miles negating any saving from having a hybrid. Most of my journeys are short ones, up to 10 miles to work and back, so the petrol engine rarely cut in. Hence the same problem I think you are having.
The frustrating thing is that Porsche sales people know nothing about this problem, and as I drove away from the Glasgow showroom, I was under the impression that you drove the car on its default position of "e" and when the battery ran out after 25 miles or so, the petrol engine cuts in. This is not the case! You should drive in "s" until your oil shows above 61 deg, BEFORE switching to "e" or "h".
The "e" setting default is a pain and is there just for the consumption figures for the press.
This degree of twiddling the small plastic dial is a step too far for my wife who is very reluctant to drive the car.
I will buy another Porsche (even though I cancelled my wife's Boxster in protest to this problem), BUT I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HYBRID.
For the rest of your problems, someone needs a kick up the backside and told to stop hiding behind Covid. My car also thinks that it has been about to have a collision several times, certainly gets the heart pumping when it does this. A totally useless bit of kit that should be disabled at your first opportunity. If you cant see a car coming towards you, you aint going to see the dashboard display. And if you do look at the dashboard in response to the alarm, you are more likely to have a collision.
Sorry to rant on, like most things in life, Porsche are not what they used to be. I'm on about my 10th - Ive lost count.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,
I admit my hybrid (March 2020) has been a bit of a disaster as well, though I have found Porsche Glasgow very helpful on the phone. I think the problem is that, like me, you have been driving it as an electric vehicle not a Hybrid. Porsche customer service UK tell me that if you don't get the oil up to temperature sufficient to evaporate any fuel that gets in there, then the oil level rises as it becomes contaminated by fuel, and shows "e-power not available." I had to have the oil and filters changed at a cost of £400 after only 2500 miles negating any saving from having a hybrid. Most of my journeys are short ones, up to 10 miles to work and back, so the petrol engine rarely cut in. Hence the same problem I think you are having.
The frustrating thing is that Porsche sales people know nothing about this problem, and as I drove away from the Glasgow showroom, I was under the impression that you drove the car on its default position of "e" and when the battery ran out after 25 miles or so, the petrol engine cuts in. This is not the case! You should drive in "s" until your oil shows above 61 deg, BEFORE switching to "e" or "h".
The "e" setting default is a pain and is there just for the consumption figures for the press.
This degree of twiddling the small plastic dial is a step too far for my wife who is very reluctant to drive the car.
I will buy another Porsche (even though I cancelled my wife's Boxster in protest to this problem), BUT I WILL NOT BUY ANOTHER HYBRID.
For the rest of your problems, someone needs a kick up the backside and told to stop hiding behind Covid. My car also thinks that it has been about to have a collision several times, certainly gets the heart pumping when it does this. A totally useless bit of kit that should be disabled at your first opportunity. If you cant see a car coming towards you, you aint going to see the dashboard display. And if you do look at the dashboard in response to the alarm, you are more likely to have a collision.
Sorry to rant on, like most things in life, Porsche are not what they used to be. I'm on about my 10th - Ive lost count.
Hi JoDe,
Many thanks for your comments. There is something strangely comforting to know that I’m not alone in this.
So far the dealership, (Porsche Glasgow), has offered £70k to take the Cayenne back. I paid £85k in October 2019. Porsche Finance have requested that the dealership complete a Vehicle Rejection Form. Where that will go remains to be seen. I sincerely hope that Porsche are not intending to sell this on to another victim.
I have read numerous reviews of other’s similar experiences with the Cayenne Hybrid. The reviews are from all over the planet. This model is a duffer and they should be recalled and scrapped.
Very, very disappointed in Porsche GB for not taking the action that is necessary. I will never have another Porsche.
Thanks again for taking the time to reply and good luck with the Comedy Cayenne.
Robert

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Robert,

I think if you can get away with £1000 a month, though it stings, I would take the money and run.
What will you buy though? I came into a Cayenne from a series of Range Rover Sports which are poor in comparison.

My Cayenne is the first car I have not paid cash for, instead its on a lease of some sort. Phew! At least there is a way out at the end of my sentence.

Best wishes,

John

·
Registered
30 Posts
Strange. I have a (958.1) 2012 S Hybrid, which although different, should be similar. You CAN NOT drive the car in e-Power mode and the hybrid drivetrain will not engage until the oil temp is 60C.

My car has been great. Over 300,000 kilometers on the odometer and the car has been SUPER reliable. The only non-scheduled work I've done is a fuel pump, fuel level sender, oil sensor, and catalytic converters. I've finally developed an oil leak at the rear main seal, which probably isn't worth fixing given the $3500 price tag to drop the engine, transmission, and hybrid motor out of the car. But I would buy one again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Damn, this thread makes me nervous. I just took delivery of my 2021 Cayenne Coupe e-Hybrid 3 days ago, and decided on the hybrid since most of our trips are short, so thought it would be better than firing up the petrol engine for a time not long enough to really warm the engine up. Have already had the ‘check engine’ light turn on several times, as well as error messages about various assist systems shutting down. Taking it into the dealer in two days, so they can some diagnostics on it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Damn, this thread makes me nervous. I just took delivery of my 2021 Cayenne Coupe e-Hybrid 3 days ago, and decided on the hybrid since most of our trips are short, so thought it would be better than firing up the petrol engine for a time not long enough to really warm the engine up. Have already had the ‘check engine’ light turn on several times, as well as error messages about various assist systems shutting down. Taking it into the dealer in two days, so they can some diagnostics on it.
Hi John
There will be nothing seriously wrong with the car. It’s just not designed to be driven like an EV. My gripe with Porsche was that the salesman said I could drive it like an EV and it was only afterwards that I realised it has to be driven as a petrol vehicle until the oil temp is a minimum 60deg before engaging the batteries.
porsche agreed they had misled me and paid for the oil and filter change required to get the car going again.
good luck. They are a great car but the hybrid is different.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Strange... I got a 2018 Panamera 4 E-Hybrid to use mostly in electric mode around town, and I've never experienced the problems described above with your Cayenne E-Hybrids (with 20k miles on the odometer). I've been planning to buy a Cayenne E-Hybrid, now that the battery pack is up to 17/18 kWh... I have routinely gone 800-1200 miles on a single tank of gas in my Panamera E-Hybrid, and have gone a week or more of daily driving without the ICE coming on (and no error messages). It seems like Cayenne E-Hybrids should be made the same as Panamera E-Hybrids...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts