Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne with 6sp manual, 2000 Boxster
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 that was not ordered with roof rails. I just found a new set of factory rails on eNay. Can they be attached to a Cayenne that never Had them?

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Anything can be done if you spend enough money. You can put a man on the moon.. which is only slightly less of a task than putting the factory bars on a 958 that didn't come with them. The 955/957 series came with the mounts for the bars installed and hidden - fairly easy to bolt up a pair.

The 958 comes without the mounting assembly, which goes through the roof and fastens on the inside of the roof. Installing it involves cutting holes in the roof, welding parts in place, painting the damaged paint, and reinstalling the headliner (or replacing it if it's starting to droop - but - I think the headliner on a 958 requires removal through the windshield opening..)

I heard of one person who did this on a 958. After he was done he wished he'd just sold the car and bought another one with roof-rails installed at the factory.

So the answer is yes. but the answer to "is it practical to do this?" is pretty much a resounding no.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Anything can be done if you spend enough money. You can put a man on the moon.. which is only slightly less of a task than putting the factory bars on a 958 that didn't come with them. The 955/957 series came with the mounts for the bars installed and hidden - fairly easy to bolt up a pair.

The 958 comes without the mounting assembly, which goes through the roof and fastens on the inside of the roof. Installing it involves cutting holes in the roof, welding parts in place, painting the damaged paint, and reinstalling the headliner (or replacing it if it's starting to droop - but - I think the headliner on a 958 requires removal through the windshield opening..)

I heard of one person who did this on a 958. After he was done he wished he'd just sold the car and bought another one with roof-rails installed at the factory.

So the answer is yes. but the answer to "is it practical to do this?" is pretty much a resounding no.
FWIW, I also heard from a friend who had a gen 2 cayenne with a roof rack, that it was very noisy at highway speeds and he sold the car because of it … this said, everyone has a different noise tolerance, and this may not be an issue for many/most. My 2018 has no rails so I will just use a Thule roof rack which is window frame mount when I need to use a basket or a cargo carrier.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts