Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
have a 04 cayenne s
bout 4 months ago the check coolant level turned on truck.like an idiot i filled it up with prestone all makes coolant. after bout a week i noticed level drop just a bit and ever since i have added bout a quart of porsche coolant every 3 weeks ever since.after driving more than 20min the temp gauge moves slightly to the right and goes back to middle at high speeds. there is no overheating going on. there is also a smell of coolant but no leak at all. whats going on?

thanks

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try changing your cap on the coolant reservoir. In most cars that will cause a similar issue. Sometimes the seals wear out over time, that also explains the smell.

·
Registered
6 Posts
well, '03-'06 have plastic hoses! one of mine split open and coolant everywhere! from '08 -'11 they use metal hoses, and now '03-06 get metal hoses too... this requires removal of the intake manifold and since they have it off there are about 3 other hoses you might as well get replaces with the metal hoses. my '04 had 58,000 miles when this occurred(last week)

·
Registered
3 Posts
If car continues to lose coolant and you cannot see a leak take it into a shop for a cooling system pressure test. They'll find a leak if there is one by pressurizing the system. It's not a great idea to keep driving it with low coolant level. When driving for extended periods with low coolant it can cause overheating condition and you may not know due to air being around coolant temp sensor causing inaccurate reading. I've seen it before people keep driving and pop headgaskets. Anyway once the leak is found and fix pop in a t-stat for good measure.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Like mentioned above, you may want to replace your rad cap. It's the cheapest thing and sometimes the culprit. Next would be the coolant hose. Chances are the rad it's self has a leak.

·
Registered
2 Posts
coolant leak

my check coolant level, porsche cayene 2004, went on and its leaking. is it safe to drive to a shop? how far is safe? thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
coolant leak

i have been smelling it for a month or so, topped off w/ coolant, finally yesterday i saw a small pool of coolant just in front of passenger front tire, on ground, i am thinking radiator hose. will look into it this afternoon

·
Registered
17 Posts
I had to replace my entire expansion tank last winter. that will help with coolant lose. Mine was spliting in half where the 2 pieces are fused together. Not a hard DIY job.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have just bought a 2004 Cayenne Turbo. The coolant warning light came on and I topped up with coolant, yet after 50 kilometres it need another half a litre of coolant. Anyone got any insight to problem and solution ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts