Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been searching for a used 2014-2016 Cayenne S or GTS for a while now and I keep noticing that the E-Hybrids seem to be lower in cost than a comparable gas model. Is there a reason for this? Would it be worth getting the hybrid at a lesser cost. Just trying to see what I’m missing here. Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I’ve been searching for a used 2014-2016 Cayenne S or GTS for a while now and I keep noticing that the E-Hybrids seem to be lower in cost than a comparable gas model. Is there a reason for this? Would it be worth getting the hybrid at a lesser cost. Just trying to see what I’m missing here. Thanks!

I have a 2012 S Hybrid. IMHO, the hybrid discount relates to 3 issues.

1) You'll have to pay to relocate and install the charger

2) Buyer anxiety over battery life

3) The GTS models have collectible value in buyer's minds.

I'm the original owner on my car. I have just over 185,000 miles on it. My battery is just fine although it doesn't perform as well in hot weather (over 85F) anymore. I can only get a 4-5 discharge/recharge cycles a day on it before the battery gets too hot to continue working optimally. During cooler weather I have zero issues with it. (We have a lot of rolling hills where I live that allow me to fully recharge while driving).

The other nice thing about the hybrid is brake life. I changed my first set of brakes at 65,000 miles when the dealer said I didn't have to because there was still a few mm left on the pads. I did my second brake job at 155k miles with 1 mm left on the pads - 90k miles on a set of brake pads! I drive the car hard, but when there's too much traffic around I maximize use of regenerative braking.

I think if you can find a hybrid that is equipped nicely, go for it. Its the best of both worlds. The Sport button gives the car all the get up and go you could want, and you can get awesome MPG once you learn to optimize the hybrid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 2012 S Hybrid. IMHO, the hybrid discount relates to 3 issues.

1) You'll have to pay to relocate and install the charger

2) Buyer anxiety over battery life

3) The GTS models have collectible value in buyer's minds.

I'm the original owner on my car. I have just over 185,000 miles on it. My battery is just fine although it doesn't perform as well in hot weather (over 85F) anymore. I can only get a 4-5 discharge/recharge cycles a day on it before the battery gets too hot to continue working optimally. During cooler weather I have zero issues with it. (We have a lot of rolling hills where I live that allow me to fully recharge while driving).

The other nice thing about the hybrid is brake life. I changed my first set of brakes at 65,000 miles when the dealer said I didn't have to because there was still a few mm left on the pads. I did my second brake job at 155k miles with 1 mm left on the pads - 90k miles on a set of brake pads! I drive the car hard, but when there's too much traffic around I maximize use of regenerative braking.

I think if you can find a hybrid that is equipped nicely, go for it. Its the best of both worlds. The Sport button gives the car all the get up and go you could want, and you can get awesome MPG once you learn to optimize the hybrid.
I appreciate the lengthy response as this is really what I’ve been interested in hearing. I’ve found a 2014 Cayenne S Hybrid for about $28K that only has 41,000 miles on it. The Porsche dealer is saying there’s no warranty left on the battery is why I’m hesitant. We aren’t really looking for a hybrid but the price seems right. From the Carfax the car has lived it’s life here in Austin, but you mentioning that it doesn’t perform well in hot weather makes me thinking about how it will fare during the summers here. Will the car work if the battery doesn’t?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I appreciate the lengthy response as this is really what I’ve been interested in hearing. I’ve found a 2014 Cayenne S Hybrid for about $28K that only has 41,000 miles on it. The Porsche dealer is saying there’s no warranty left on the battery is why I’m hesitant. We aren’t really looking for a hybrid but the price seems right. From the Carfax the car has lived it’s life here in Austin, but you mentioning that it doesn’t perform well in hot weather makes me thinking about how it will fare during the summers here. Will the car work if the battery doesn’t?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
I wouldn’t worry about the lack of battery warranty. My car clearly shows the batteries last.

I believe my battery’s issue with hot weather has more to do with how many cycles it’s been put through. I have 4.5x the mileage of the car you are looking at. And the car works just fine if the battery temperature reaches a point where it starts slowing down for the day. It just stays in gas mode.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts