Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am a prospective buyer of a 2014 Cayenne and would upgrade from the stock 18" wheel. I am considering either the 19" Cayenne Design II wheel or the 21" 911 Turbo II wheel. Aesthetically, I prefer the 21" wheel, which is also about $3,000 more, but I am curious about the tire wear and affect on comfort of ride. I currently own a Mercedes ML350 with 19" wheels, so am familiar with the type of tires available for that size wheel and the wear that can be expected from them (given our driving habits). Generally speaking, how will the wear on a 21" tire compare to a 19" tire?

I understand that there are different kinds of tires and driving style will affect the usable life of the tire, but if you set that to the side and assume the same tire and driving style for both tire sizes, will they last about the same? Lastly, will the ride be appreciably less comfortable on 21's as opposed to 19's? Never owned a car with 21" wheels, so please excuse my ignorance here. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have had both. 21 's on a Toureg and now 19's on my Cayenne. The 19's are considerably more comfortable. There is more rubber between the rim and the road. The 21's have 35 mm of sidewall. The 19's have 50 mm of side wall.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had both. 21 's on a Toureg and now 19's on my Cayenne. The 19's are considerably more comfortable. There is more rubber between the rim and the road. The 21's have 35 mm of sidewall. The 19's have 50 mm of side wall.
How about the tread life on the 21"s?

I'm hearing drastically different numbers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts