Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend kept blowing me away off the line at traffic lights and on the highway while I was driving my Toyota Supra. Mind you I had a bad transmission but that Cayenne moved...

After a late night on his boat with some friends since I was the only one not drinking he allowed me to drive home. OMG! I'm in love. The Cayenne is just so darn gorgeous, comfortable, and well designed it's not funny. I owned an Infiniti FX35 and thought it was the cat's backside since I felt so comfortable in it and it had a lot of leg room for my 6'4" frame reminding me of my Supra. The BMW X5 was ok but feels like a truck next to the Cayenne and the Grand Cherokee Ltd. is no competition what so ever.

I'm retiring next summer and need some help deciding which Cayenne to purchase and with which options. I've been advised to buy a 2008 or newer so to keep costs down a 2008 it will be.

Now the Cayenne, Cayenne S, Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo or Cayenne Turbo S. If you've owned more than one which did you prefer?

What options can you not live without.

Being a speed freak with a 650 rwhp Supra that has a tendancy to break parts due to the high torque I love the fact that I can tow it to meets and drag strips all over North America since the Cayenne tows almost 7,000 lbs.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Actually, the Cayenne is rated to tow 3.5 metric tonnes (7700 pounds). But frequent towing with other than the Cayenne Diesel is going to increase fuel consumption dramatically. Admittedly my CD has a tuning box, but can hit sixty in the low sixes. Yet I can get 24 mpg towing a full 7700 pounds, and that's in the rolling hills of Kentucky. With no trailer attached, I'm in the mid 30s. And the nearly 500 lb-ft of torque is astounding, considering there's a 6 cylinder diesel under the hood.

I don't recommend the 2008 V6 Cayenne for towing, and presumably you don't want to buy new. But consider that the 2014 Cayenne Diesels are in the showrooms now, which necessarily drops the price on '13s. If you plan a lot of towing, the cost differential between a 2008 V8 Cayenne base and a 2013 Cayenne Diesel may even eventually amortize in the form of fuel savings

·
Registered
18 Posts
Get the GTS or Turbo S. You've already stated that you are getting ready to retire and you still are street racing and hanging out so I don't see you happy with anything else. I've had 2 different Cayenne S and they are fine for me, but I race a Carrera and am not looking for my SUV to be a light-to-light ticket magnet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, the Cayenne is rated to tow 3.5 metric tonnes (7700 pounds). But frequent towing with other than the Cayenne Diesel is going to increase fuel consumption dramatically. Admittedly my CD has a tuning box, but can hit sixty in the low sixes. Yet I can get 24 mpg towing a full 7700 pounds, and that's in the rolling hills of Kentucky. With no trailer attached, I'm in the mid 30s. And the nearly 500 lb-ft of torque is astounding, considering there's a 6 cylinder diesel under the hood.

I don't recommend the 2008 V6 Cayenne for towing, and presumably you don't want to buy new. But consider that the 2014 Cayenne Diesels are in the showrooms now, which necessarily drops the price on '13s. If you plan a lot of towing, the cost differential between a 2008 V8 Cayenne base and a 2013 Cayenne Diesel may even eventually amortize in the form of fuel savings
Greg thanks for the response. OK I'll have to consider that and look newer like '12 or '13. I never thought of Diesel so I guess I'll have to do research on the S, Diesel & Turbo...eliminating the Turbo S.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Get the GTS or Turbo S. You've already stated that you are getting ready to retire and you still are street racing and hanging out so I don't see you happy with anything else. I've had 2 different Cayenne S and they are fine for me, but I race a Carrera and am not looking for my SUV to be a light-to-light ticket magnet.
LOL. Steve, light to moderate ticket magnet is pretty accurate. I know two "Points" or "Ticket Defenders" by first name and have one on facebook and the other on speed dial. Yes I think the GTS is what I may have driven since it was at night but it moved like it could have been a Turbo so I'll check on the GTS and Turbo S too. It seems that the options/features that it had like the PASM, tilt/telescopic steering wheel, leather through out, fully adjustable power seats, front row sunroof, cup holders front and rear, multiply power outlets, front side lights that got brighter in the direction of your turn, an extremely solid feel, quiet, and just quality all the way were enough to sell me on getting one.

Having owned a couple what option or feature do you say thank goodness that I got that I love it and can't imagine not having it? Thanks Jim

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Greg, Is there any option or feature that you couldn't live without? other than it being Diesel

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I've been on line for the past 8 hours reading Motor Trend and other Car Magazine reviews and articles and comparisons and all seemed to say the same thing...Porsche was the best. I read a great article about the 2006 Turbo S that convinced me to buy one of those and when I found one for just $32,000 I was like "**** yeah". It sounded and looked great. BUT then I read the review of the best Diesel SUVs and now I think I may want a 2013 Diesel instead of the 2006 Turbo S...LOL. The other three that the writer refers to are the MB Blue Tec, VW Tourag, Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit -

And did we mention the fuel economy? With an observed 29.2 mpg, the Leipzig, Germany-assembled 'ute effectively stole the other three's lunch money before shoving them to the ground in this metric. To ensure we hadn't made a calculating error, we checked the numbers twice, noting the Cayenne categorically elevated itself in the mpg order in all three drive loop sections. So either we had a freakishly efficient Porsche, or it really is that good. 2013 Porsche Cayenne Diesel Rear Three Quarters In Motion Matched to the efficiency are the innate handling reflexes dialed into every Porsche. Harwood: "If the 911 were a sport/utility, it would be the Cayenne." It's a hoot to blast around on winding roads

Read more: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 4x4 EcoDiesel vs. 2013 Mercedes-Benz ML350 BlueTec vs. Porsche Cayenne Diesel vs. Volkswagen Touareg TDI - Luxury Diesel SUV Comparison - Motor Trend

·
Registered
7 Posts
drove a 13 gts before buying the diesel....the gts is flat out fast but the torque of the diesel is enough to keep me grinning....running 60mph and ease down on the throttle....it pulls and pulls and pulls...LOVE MY DIESEL

·
Registered
116 Posts
Greg, Is there any option or feature that you couldn't live without? other than it being Diesel
Lane Change Assist is a must for people like me with arthritis in the spine/neck. Saves all that contortion needed to twist around to check your blind spots. Mine was included in the P+ package

1 - 9 of 9 Posts