Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends,

Needs some advice. I have a 2016 base with just under 25k miles. Until recently we hadn't driven it all that much. About two months ago we sold our daily driver and started using the Cayenne. The gas was a bit old but didn't seem to be an issue. About a month ago we went on a weekend trip to a mountain community. No issues. Before we left the mountain town we filled up at a Texaco station. Couple days later I started noticing sputtering and hesitation on acceleration while in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears between 2500 and 4000 rpms. At cruising speed or when trying to pass someone, runs like a charm. It's only during this acceleration window that I get the symptom.

I immediately thought that since this happened right after a fill up that maybe the gas from that station was a bit old. I put in a bottle of Red Line Complete Fuel System Cleaner. No change whatsoever. Then I got out the big guns. I have replaced the spark plugs and I have replaced the air filter. During the air filter change I also cleaned the mass air flow sensor with proper MAFS cleaner. Still no change.

Not sure where to go from here, other than the service center. If anyone has another suggestion to try I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks and I look forward to the in rush of suggestions. :LOL:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To me it sounds like bad gas. If you have been using ethanol gas and the car has been sitting for any length of time, you are going to get water in the bottom of the fuel tank. Try ethanol-free gas for several tank fills and see if it makes a difference. I only use ethanol-free gas and have for many years. It does make a difference.
Wow that's a great idea. Now I just have to find ethanol free gas. I will certainly follow up and let everyone know. Thanks very much!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is a possibility of an overly sensitive knock sensor retarding your timing under acceleration. This is a known issue on the V6 cars of your era and Porsche has an update to the engine control unit that solves it. If the ethanol-free fuel doesn't fix it (and I doubt if it will since it took days of driving "Couple days later" after getting fuel for it to misbehave), I'd contact your friendly local dealer's service department and ask about it.
Thanks for the insight. I just filled the tank yesterday with the non-ethanol. So far nothing has changed. I use a local german service center to do all the work I can't and will reach out to them to see if they can do this update you mention. The local dealer here is horrible and taking the vehicle to them is purely "last resort". Certainly amazing how sensitive these vehicles are. Thanks again and I'll keep the thread posted of my results.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello all. Thought I'd share with everyone what ended up being the issue. Surprisingly it was actually the transfer case. Took it to my local shop that specializes in german cars and they found a service bulletin that addresses this problem. They replaced the fluid and it is better but they want me to bring it back after 500 miles to take another look. The issue is under a Porsche extended warranty which, in my case, is 7 years. That means it will expire next year. If the issue persists then the next step is for Porsche to replace the transfer case. I have to say this is very disappointing. I know cars have issues but this one only has 25,000 miles on it. Although I had plans to do a bit of off-roading with it, I never have. We've owned it for four years and we're just now approaching putting 10k miles on it. Really isn't any reason for modern vehicles to have such issues. Anyway, I'll stop my rant. We love the car and it certainly cheaper than buying a new car. Hope this helps anyone else that may experience this issue.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s what I thought reading your first message. Bad transfer cases do not depend on the mileage , but rather how soon the fluid is getting contaminated. Should have taken it to the dealer they are happy to replace those. My 2014 base had it replaced 2or 3 times, honestly do not remember now. Replacing the fluid yearly is another remedy.
Thanks for the message but let me see if I understand you correctly. You have a 2014 and you've had the unit replaced as many as 3 times? That's very concerning to me as the warranty on this issue for the 2016 expires 7 years after initial purchase, so next year for me. I'm going to call the dealer for advise but if this is an bandaid type of fix then I'm thinking departing with the vehicle may be the best solution.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts