Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'd like to buy a Cayenne, around 2014-2016. There is a diesel at 110k mikes, but there are gas around 65k miles in the same price range. Is the diesel engine better enough to get it at the higher mileage?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 2 Cayennes: 1 is gas V8 and the other diesel V6. My 2006 Cayenne S 4.5L currently stands at 255,000 miles and I have owned it from 10,000 miles. I love this car and is my daily driver. It tows a horse trailer and a race car trailer. It goes on trips from Colorado to Texas and Oklahoma towing, even with these high miles. Outstanding in my opinion and the winter driving characteristics are near perfect. I drive it on ice every year just for fun. Its suspension is stiff which I like. I find the experinece almost as fun as a 911 on our twisty mountain road in Colorado (if you know the weight transfer from braking to power). I drive the tiptronic transmission in manual mode (always). Other drivers put it in auto mode and tell me it feels under-powered. That is completely changed if you understand where the power is in the RPM band (3000 and above).

The diesel is a 2014 and owned from new. Its got 135,000 miles and it also tows our trailers. In fact, it tows better than the gas powered Cayenne. It is a completely different motor than other Porsche engines, which I characterize as having sweet power bands all the way to red line. The diesel runs out of hp but has lots of torque at a lower RPM. I don't drive this one in manual mode and let the electronics of the tiptronic determine the shift points. It has a Sport Mode which provides pleasure. It runs comfortably at 55 MPH. It also runs comfortably at 95-100 MPH.

So it depends on the experience you want to have. The gas powered Cayennes can give a very sporty experience. OMG especially a Turbo (or Turbo S). The diesel gives a solid drive, with long range, and excellent pull in the mountains or under tow.

The gen 1 Cayennes sell for less than $15,000 especially with lots of miles on them. You can also spend over $100,00 on late model turbo Cayennes. Enjoy your ride.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It tows a horse trailer and a race car trailer. It goes on trips from Colorado to Texas and Oklahoma towing, even with these high miles.
Thanks for the great overview! It sounds like diesel has its benefits, but the gas version is great as well.

Follow up question, does the factory tow hitch typically have the wiring harness as well? It looks like not from everything I've googled.

Thanks again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts