Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2020 Cayenne E-Hybrid. It was special ordered in late 2019, and arrived in the middle of 2020. Naturally it didn't see a whole lot of use for more than a year, and then we took it out for a nice long drive from Central Texas to deep into the canyons of AZ - a total of 2500 miles.

The day before the trip I realized that this vehicle doesn't have even an undersized donut (I used to obsess about this sort of detail before buying a car, I'm clearly slipping). Anyhow, we made the trip with crossed fingers and no snafus. The remoteness of some of the locations we went thru - if we had a tire problem it would have been very tricky, sometimes we were 100+ miles from any decent sized town. We plan to do 1-2 big road trips from fall of this year, and I don't intend to take this risk again.

I've located the wheel+tire in the Porsche catalog. What would be a suitable hitch mounted tire carrier that have enough clearance and swing down/swing away to allow opening of the trunk?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm wondering the same thing -- in my planning to buy a 2022 or 2023 Cayenne E-Hybrid. I also do long road trips in remote areas in the western US and Canada -- usually at least one 6000- to 8000-mile trip each year. I took my Panamera E-Hybrid on one such trip a few years ago, and I bought a full-size front wheel/tire from my Porsche dealership and a tire cover for it, and threw it in the back; of course, I didn't get a flat tire, and it took up a huge amount of space (Porsches, even the Cayenne, don't have a lot of space for a large spare wheel/tire in the cargo area, when you have weeks worth of luggage to bring along for two people). I wasn't going to order a hitch with my forthcoming Cayenne E-Hybrid (because I don't tow anything), but I'm wondering if I should do so, just for this (potential) purpose. I had wondered about getting a tire carrier for the roof, but that really cuts down on gas mileage and aerodynamics, and may put a lot of stress on the roof, so I won't do that.

I did find this item (check out the videos on this webpage), and will see what my dealership says about compatibility:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cometguy, I found two options for the spare tire:

OEM Cayenne Undersized donut:

Aftermarket 'compatible' spare

I had initially thought I'd buy an extra rim and mount a new tire on it, but our Cayenne has staggered tires on front/back so a donut makes more sense.
Still looking for a hitch mount, but with an undersized donut I can wrap it and keep it in the trunk. I may start with that and see how it goes.

We don't tow anything either, but use the hitch for a bicycle rack. And it's always there for contingencies. I would not get a roof carrier either, - noise, drag, and impaired handling. Did that in the past with a volvo wagon and never liked doing it. A hitch mounted carrier is a much better option. Last 3 wagons/SUVs we have bought had a hitch. It's much simpler to get this done as part of the order - aftermarket installs can be messy due to rear parking sensors etc.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, it might make sense to do a temporary spare wheel/tire inside, but for a full-size spare, it takes up a huge amount of space inside any Porsche (been there, done that). I do worry about jiggling/motion of any wheel/carrier mounted on the hitch at the back of the car, and then there's the non-trivial matter of covering the wheel with something that can withstand the wind/elements and stay put...

·
Registered
17 Posts
RigD offers a hitch mount swing out spare tire mount. I put one on my T1 VW Touareg(same platform).
Works well and you can still tow with it in place.
How rigid is your tire mount? Do you hear it or feel it vibrating, due to wind when at high speed, or when going over bumps?

·
Registered
6 Posts
How rigid is your tire mount? Do you hear it or feel it vibrating, due to wind when at high speed, or when going over bumps?
The receiver is tightened with a wedge style with a 3/4 socket. I tighten to recommended torque. Does not wobble. Excellent product with tow ability to 10K, and to add accessories as well.

·
Registered
2013 Cayenne Diesel
6 Posts
We take two full size spares on our extended off-road trips. Have used a Wilco Hitchgate for 127k principally off-road miles. It still works as new. We like that it also holds two 5 gal Scepter cans filled with water as our diesel has good range. Water is our limiting factor for living off-grid.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts