Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

Hitch Mounted Spare Tire Carrier for 2020 E-Hybrid

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  MXDogCrate 
#1 ·
We have a 2020 Cayenne E-Hybrid. It was special ordered in late 2019, and arrived in the middle of 2020. Naturally it didn't see a whole lot of use for more than a year, and then we took it out for a nice long drive from Central Texas to deep into the canyons of AZ - a total of 2500 miles.

The day before the trip I realized that this vehicle doesn't have even an undersized donut (I used to obsess about this sort of detail before buying a car, I'm clearly slipping). Anyhow, we made the trip with crossed fingers and no snafus. The remoteness of some of the locations we went thru - if we had a tire problem it would have been very tricky, sometimes we were 100+ miles from any decent sized town. We plan to do 1-2 big road trips from fall of this year, and I don't intend to take this risk again.

I've located the wheel+tire in the Porsche catalog. What would be a suitable hitch mounted tire carrier that have enough clearance and swing down/swing away to allow opening of the trunk?

#2 · (Edited)
I'm wondering the same thing -- in my planning to buy a 2022 or 2023 Cayenne E-Hybrid. I also do long road trips in remote areas in the western US and Canada -- usually at least one 6000- to 8000-mile trip each year. I took my Panamera E-Hybrid on one such trip a few years ago, and I bought a full-size front wheel/tire from my Porsche dealership and a tire cover for it, and threw it in the back; of course, I didn't get a flat tire, and it took up a huge amount of space (Porsches, even the Cayenne, don't have a lot of space for a large spare wheel/tire in the cargo area, when you have weeks worth of luggage to bring along for two people). I wasn't going to order a hitch with my forthcoming Cayenne E-Hybrid (because I don't tow anything), but I'm wondering if I should do so, just for this (potential) purpose. I had wondered about getting a tire carrier for the roof, but that really cuts down on gas mileage and aerodynamics, and may put a lot of stress on the roof, so I won't do that.

I did find this item (check out the videos on this webpage), and will see what my dealership says about compatibility:

#3 ·
Cometguy, I found two options for the spare tire:

OEM Cayenne Undersized donut:

Aftermarket 'compatible' spare

I had initially thought I'd buy an extra rim and mount a new tire on it, but our Cayenne has staggered tires on front/back so a donut makes more sense.
Still looking for a hitch mount, but with an undersized donut I can wrap it and keep it in the trunk. I may start with that and see how it goes.

We don't tow anything either, but use the hitch for a bicycle rack. And it's always there for contingencies. I would not get a roof carrier either, - noise, drag, and impaired handling. Did that in the past with a volvo wagon and never liked doing it. A hitch mounted carrier is a much better option. Last 3 wagons/SUVs we have bought had a hitch. It's much simpler to get this done as part of the order - aftermarket installs can be messy due to rear parking sensors etc.

#4 ·
Yes, it might make sense to do a temporary spare wheel/tire inside, but for a full-size spare, it takes up a huge amount of space inside any Porsche (been there, done that). I do worry about jiggling/motion of any wheel/carrier mounted on the hitch at the back of the car, and then there's the non-trivial matter of covering the wheel with something that can withstand the wind/elements and stay put...

#9 ·
We take two full size spares on our extended off-road trips. Have used a Wilco Hitchgate for 127k principally off-road miles. It still works as new. We like that it also holds two 5 gal Scepter cans filled with water as our diesel has good range. Water is our limiting factor for living off-grid.
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive carrying rack

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.