Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello - I’m Bill; I’m new to this forum. Just yesterday purchased 2023 Black/black Platinum Cayenne. Lovely car, which I hope to drive at least 100K miles.

First recommended service is 10K. In the past, oil changes at 3K - 5K miles were recommended to prolong the life of the engine. Is this still the case Otherwise stated, from a longevity perspective, would the engine last longer and be more trouble free with oil changes every 5K, rather than every 10K, as recommended by Porsche?

Thanks.

·
Administrator
147 Posts
Hi Bill, welcome to the forum.

There are two answers to your question - a real answer and the one most people favor..

The real answer is - if your vehicle is given normal use (no off-road, no dusty conditions, no endurance races) - any Porsche A40 approved oil will prevent engine wear and damage for 100,000 miles provided it IS changed at the 10,000-mile interval with a quality oil (approved by Porsche). While one motivation for this long change interval on the part of Porsche AG is to demonstrate that owning a Porsche doesn't cost a fortune in maintenance (it actually does..) - they really only care that the car goes through one lease or loan cycle and then one CPO resale cycle. After that - they'd hope it simply disappeared never to be seen again so they can sell a new one to replace it. An interesting and little known factoid - Porsche has different change intervals for different countries, based on the quality, ethanol, and sulfur content of the fuel sold in the country. There was a 20,000-mile interval on the 955 series Cayennes in the US when they were new. That changed as ethanol was added to the fuel.

The answer most people favor is the "feel good" answer. More frequent oil changes gives you a good feeling you're doing something nice and smart and preventing future failures or wear of your vehicle. The question is - how good do you want to feel? Do you want to feel 3,000 mile good? 5,000 mile good? I'm happy at 7,500 miles.

It's actually quite rare to see an oil-caused engine failure on a modern car engine. There can be a failure due to not changing the oil at recommended intervals (sludging up the engine), or lack of oil problems - but just worn-out oil causing something like a bearing failure? That's quite rare on modern engines (besides the S54 engines used in early 2000s BMW M-cars, which had undersized bearings, they switched it to a special oil and replaced the bearings to alleviate the problem.)

So that's the answers - a real one and one to make you feel good..

1 - 2 of 2 Posts