Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's pouring rain in the bay area this past weekend and I found my car leaking. So last Friday I saw a damp A pillar. The floor was soaking wet and water drips over the dashboard. We put a tarp over the car for the weekend. I brought the car in today and on the road I heard water on the passenger side. At the dealership we open the floor up and the battery compartment was half full of water.

What can cause this problem? We had the front windshield replaced 3 months ago and I suspect the windshield is not sealed properly. (We replaced the windshield at the dealership and I was hoping for a good job).

The dealer is conducting an inspection right now. They said a clogged sunroof drain can cause leaks too (we park outside and I never know I had to clean it). They also want to charge $300 just to inspect the drain. Is this something easy to do by myself? And whare else I can look?

Car Automotive lighting Automotive tire White Vehicle

Automotive battery Hood Electrical wiring Gas Cable

· Registered
7 Posts
Most likely the sunroof drains. Search Cayenne sunroof drain on YT and you'll learn all you need to know about where the drains are and how to clear them. There is also some important electrical wiring that runs along the door sills on both driver and passenger sides. If the wires spend too much time soaking, they will end up corroding and you'll get a lot of weird electrical problems. Best to keep the drains clear and the floor dry.

· Registered
2 Posts
It's pouring rain in the bay area this past weekend and I found my car leaking. So last Friday I saw a damp A pillar. The floor was soaking wet and water drips over the dashboard. We put a tarp over the car for the weekend. I brought the car in today and on the road I heard water on the passenger side. At the dealership we open the floor up and the battery compartment was half full of water.

What can cause this problem? We had the front windshield replaced 3 months ago and I suspect the windshield is not sealed properly. (We replaced the windshield at the dealership and I was hoping for a good job).

The dealer is conducting an inspection right now. They said a clogged sunroof drain can cause leaks too (we park outside and I never know I had to clean it). They also want to charge $300 just to inspect the drain. Is this something easy to do by myself? And whare else I can look?

View attachment 5013
View attachment 5012
Most likely the sunroof drains. Search Cayenne sunroof drain on YT and you'll learn all you need to know about where the drains are and how to clear them. There is also some important electrical wiring that runs along the door sills on both driver and passenger sides. If the wires spend too much time soaking, they will end up corroding and you'll get a lot of weird electrical problems. Best to keep the drains clear and the floor dry.

· Administrator
185 Posts
BTW - @Min - what year is your Cayenne? We have different forums for different series of Cayennes. This really doesn't belong in the general Cayenne forum. I'll move it where it belongs once I know what car we're talking about.

· Administrator
185 Posts
That's a 3rd generation. It appears Porsche has continued carrying over the flawed drain design to yet another "all-new" design. Sigh..

Moving the thread where it might find a home..

· Administrator
185 Posts
What other Cayenne Forums are there? I have a 2011 Cayenne S Hybrid.
It's pretty simple.. there have been 3 generations of Cayennes so far. By generation, we mean a design structure that different models are based on. When that basic structure is replaced and new models become available we have a new generation.

So far-
Generation 1 - 2003-2010, the 955 and 957 series Cayennes
Generation 2 - 2011-2018, the 958 series Cayennes
Generation 3 - 2019 to current. Based on the earlier generations we might expect this one to last until 2026.

If you click here: Porsche Cayenne Forums - you'll be taken to the encompassing forum that holds the 3 generational subforums. Give it a click and it should become obvious..

BTW - your Cayenne is a 2nd generation, Porsche series production number 958.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts