Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just found this Porsche forum. I own a 450GL and really like its automobile like feel on the road. I had just about decided to get a 2013 450 GL and just changed my mind due to repair issues on the 450GL.

I'd like some opinions on what the Cayenne is like vs. the Mercedes. I don't need a 9-seater but I do need the cargo room for my dogs. I can do with a little less than the 450GL but not much.

I don't want a Lexus, Honda, Toyota, etc.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I own 2004 CLK500 Cabrio Mercedes beside also owning a 2009 Cayenne GTS . I have paid for waiting delivery next month for 2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 . I can say I love my 09 Cayenne GTS upgrading to black 21 wheels . but its not daily driver . I advise buy clean used 08/09 Cayenne S or GTS not Turbo or new 2013 S if can afford. I even highly recommend new Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 is a bargain considering has almost power & performance of new Cayenne Turbo and $ 30.000 cheaper !!:cool:

·
Registered
116 Posts
As you may realize, the two cars are in a different size class. The Cayenne is larger than the Mercedes GLK, and smaller than your GL. But with all seats up, the GL only has 16 cu ft of cargo behind the 3rd row. So presumably you fold down the 3rd row of passenger seats to accommodate the dogs. The 5 passenger Cayenne has 23.6 cu ft in the cargo area with all seats up.

The 362 hp GL weighs 5401 pounds versus the 400 hp Cayenne S at 4554 pounds, so the weight to horsepower advantage clearly goes to the Porsche. And many have commented that the Cayenne drives and handles more like a car than it does a SUV. My own Cayenne is configured with the standard suspension complemented by the optional Servotronic steering. I take most curves marked for 35 mph at an easy 60 mph, without even turning off the cruise control.

That said, my cargo area is completely carpeted - including the seat backs and side walls. That's a lot of dog hair, so a high sided canine protector will probably go on your aftermarket shopping list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reply!! Actually, I fold down all the seats for my dog to accommodate all the related stuff when we go to obedience class/shows. I don't have any kids and rarely have anyone else in the car with me. What does the Cayenne have in cargo area with all the back seats down? Are they electric like the mercedes? The 450GL cargo area has some "carpet" stuff and I have always kept it covered with a sheet. Dog hair not much of a problem and it's okay if there is dog hair there.

The 450GL has the air suspension--not sure if that is a plus since maintenance for them is a real pain. Does the air suspension "really" add that much to the comfort on the road?

The guy at the mercedes service said the service problems on a Cayenne are not nearly as bad as service problems on the 450GL. I have 130,000 on my GL.

As you may realize, the two cars are in a different size class. The Cayenne is larger than the Mercedes GLK, and smaller than your GL. But with all seats up, the GL only has 16 cu ft of cargo behind the 3rd row. So presumably you fold down the 3rd row of passenger seats to accommodate the dogs. The 5 passenger Cayenne has 23.6 cu ft in the cargo area with all seats up.

The 362 hp GL weighs 5401 pounds versus the 400 hp Cayenne S at 4554 pounds, so the weight to horsepower advantage clearly goes to the Porsche. And many have commented that the Cayenne drives and handles more like a car than it does a SUV. My own Cayenne is configured with the standard suspension complemented by the optional Servotronic steering. I take most curves marked for 35 mph at an easy 60 mph, without even turning off the cruise control.

That said, my cargo area is completely carpeted - including the seat backs and side walls. That's a lot of dog hair, so a high sided canine protector will probably go on your aftermarket shopping list.

·
Registered
116 Posts
62.5 cu ft with the rear seats folded forward. Can't tell you if there's an electric seat folding option however. I had no use for it, so never bothered to investigate. Didn't think I needed more than the standard suspension, so I can't comment as to what - if anything - air would add. I'm more inclined to think it's a performance consideration.

That said, I've had two Mercedes - and they were both almost bullet proof. One of them had over 260k when I traded it. I can't really say much bad about either marque

·
Registered
4 Posts
We just purchased a 13 cayenne diesel and are dog owners.There is no problem getting the dogs (boxer sized x 2)behind the rear seats.We bought our cayenne because it does'nt just drive like an automobile,it drives like a sports car.I personally never considered the jeep srt8 because they are not very reliable and they get crappy fuel mileage.Jeeps are built cheap especially compared to a Mercedes and Porsche.Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The Porsche and Mercedes are both respected cars. The Jeep SRT-8 is a great car but without the power it really is just a Jeep.

Ultimately without test driving both you can't decide for yourself which car is better for you. I personally was looking at Mercedes when I bought my Cayenne and test drove many of their SUVs only to come back to the Cayenne Turbo S.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I feel the same way about Jeep SRT-8 SUV's, they are built cheap, reason why they are so fast and affordable too. Sort of like how people buy Escalades over Land Rover Sports.

I find that people without any good taste in vehicles go after SUV's like those.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts