Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, (2013 Cayenne 3.6 6 cyl)

My Dash started displaying a yellow "Minimum Oil level reached" warning 2 weeks ago while driving.
Luckily I had already purchased and installed a dipstick and was able to easily confirm the oil was full.
Whay a car company would not include a dipstick in the first place is confounding to me.

I changed the oil the following weekend, and while i was down there, I removed the oil level sensor, checked it out and cleaned the electronic contacts. After reinstalling and filling engine with 7 quarts of fresh oil, the message re-displayed as soon as I turned the key.

Assumung a faulty sensor, I ordered a replacement sensor (which looks exactly like the original VW part that was down there) and replaced it this afternoon after emptying/reflling the oil once again. On a related note, If i removed the sensor from the connector completely, the message changes to a yellow "oil measurement failed" so I know the car can actually get a read of some voltage from the sensor. It's just displaying the incorrect result.

You would think this would do the trick... but no. The low oil level message persiste on my dash. At this point I'm not really sure where to turn. I'm going to look into possible wire corrosion leading from the sensor up the engine wall.. but I would love to know if anyone else has dealt with this issue and what they did to resolve it? it has nothing to do with actual oil level. seems to be more of a reading error.

thanks
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi All, (2013 Cayenne 3.6 6 cyl)

My Dash started displaying a yellow "Minimum Oil level reached" warning 2 weeks ago while driving.
Luckily I had already purchased and installed a dipstick and was able to easily confirm the oil was full.
Whay a car company would not include a dipstick in the first place is confounding to me.

I changed the oil the following weekend, and while i was down there, I removed the oil level sensor, checked it out and cleaned the electronic contacts. After reinstalling and filling engine with 7 quarts of fresh oil, the message re-displayed as soon as I turned the key.

Assumung a faulty sensor, I ordered a replacement sensor (which looks exactly like the original VW part that was down there) and replaced it this afternoon after emptying/reflling the oil once again. On a related note, If i removed the sensor from the connector completely, the message changes to a yellow "oil measurement failed" so I know the car can actually get a read of some voltage from the sensor. It's just displaying the incorrect result.

You would think this would do the trick... but no. The low oil level message persiste on my dash. At this point I'm not really sure where to turn. I'm going to look into possible wire corrosion leading from the sensor up the engine wall.. but I would love to know if anyone else has dealt with this issue and what they did to resolve it? it has nothing to do with actual oil level. seems to be more of a reading error.

thanks
John

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plot thickens - after a bit of time. LIKE A DAY.. my oil level menu suddenly shows full and green to the top, but oddly, even with this valid condition being measured be the car, it still flashes the yellow "Minimum Oil Reached"!

Now i'm completely baffled by this damn car. I tried disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes just to reset any cpu issues. I would not recommend trying to access the battery in this thing unless your life depended on it. Porsche did their best to make battery access one of the craziest processes I have done yet on this car. Now the airbag light is on in addition to the persistent oil level warning.

i'm going to run my obd2 and durametric on it tomorrow, but i'm not expecting any miracles and will likely have to take it to the service guy and spend a small fortune. I was hoping someone out there might have entcountered this same issue. I'll post again when i find out when the heck is going on.

·
Administrator
90 Posts
A few things. Disconnecting the battery is very unlikely to fix anything in a modern car. That was back in the days of straight RAM memory in a car.. with NVRAM the problems/codes/errors are carefully stored until cleared.

And if you ever need to disconnect the battery it's trivial to do. In the carpeting in front of the drivers seat (you have to remove the floor-mats to see it) is a small hatch sort of thing. Open it - and you'll see an acorn nut with two big wires fastened under it with lugs. Remove nut. Remove and insulate wires from touching ground. You've just disconnected the battery from the car. Reconnecting it is the reverse. It takes longer to find the right socket (I seem to recall 10mm, but it might be a 12..) than it does to disconnect.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts