Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the UK and I'm looking to buy a second hand Porsche Cayenne soley because it looks amazing, although know very little about them.

I'm a little apprehensive so I would only like to spend in the region of £10k (£12k max) on the 3.2 litre version which I guess would get me a half decent one on a 54, 55 or if I'm lucky, a 56 plate and with approx. 50-60k on the clock. Ideally, it would be equipped with satnav, multi function steering wheel and heated seats. It may be wishful thinking but that's what I would want in the car.

MY QUESTION to you proud owners
What should I look out for when viewing vehicles, what should I be wary of and from your own experiences, what would you say I should take into consideration when buying this magnificent beast of a car??

Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I was really hoping to find a decent UK review on youtube about it but rather surprisingly, I found nothing about a 3.2 on a 54-56 plate that went into any decent level of detail on pro's and cons.

Many thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I live in the UK and I'm looking to buy a second hand Porsche Cayenne soley because it looks amazing, although know very little about them.

I'm a little apprehensive so I would only like to spend in the region of £10k (£12k max) on the 3.2 litre version which I guess would get me a half decent one on a 54, 55 or if I'm lucky, a 56 plate and with approx. 50-60k on the clock. Ideally, it would be equipped with satnav, multi function steering wheel and heated seats. It may be wishful thinking but that's what I would want in the car.

MY QUESTION to you proud owners
What should I look out for when viewing vehicles, what should I be wary of and from your own experiences, what would you say I should take into consideration when buying this magnificent beast of a car??

Any advice / suggestions would be greatly appreciated! I was really hoping to find a decent UK review on youtube about it but rather surprisingly, I found nothing about a 3.2 on a 54-56 plate that went into any decent level of detail on pro's and cons.

Many thanks

I too am in the UK and looking for a KN and have around the same budget as you do. In doing some research, what I have found is a number of people have told me to 'not bother with the 3.2' as one may find it under powered. So I took one for a spin and found they were right. I am finding the turbo - a bit too powerful (fun, but I can see my licence going up in flames) the 4.5 V8 (the S?) is perfect, good level of trim and looking around a few bargins available.

What I don't know and I look to existing KN owners to share is:

What are the known faults and when do they tend to happen? (e.g Engine blows up at 100K miles or Side brushes fail at 60K miles etc)

How can you tell if work has been done on it after a 'fender bender'?

If you can get hold of the VIN/Chassis number can you ask the OPC (?) to run a check and is there a charge for this?

With regard to service record what should be in the service book? I have been looking at some and there is no set interval, e.g Mercs, Ferraris all have intervals every 10K Miles.

In the UK there are some bargins - but on test drives on one there is a definite knocking from the engine - is that a premonition of expense ahead? On another one - the dealer had the engine running and waiting, could that be hiding something? and on another light blue smoke on start up - dealer explanation - its normal on german V8's (well not on my G Wagen V8!;))

Any other pointers would be greatly appreciated!

Spider1V

·
Registered
6 Posts
i am new and just purchased my 06 turbo s with 83k miles. I also have a 95 s4 esprit that i bought about 12 years ago. maintenance records are number one, and should exist for these. i also like to beat the piss out of them when i test drive to ensure nothing is about to fail or has an unexpected band-aid applied. when i was researching my purchase, i merely googled "porsche cayenne turbo issues" or problems. WHat i found for th 04-05 models were transmission valve body issues that could cost $2k US to have fixed at a dealer. the 06 had coolant pipe issues that can also be a pricey fix at dealer but were just upgraded on my purchase. i am recently retired US Air Force and a master mechanic. I don't think there are many that fall into my category that own these and participate on forums (lotus is no different but a handful exist). I am currently trying to discern who the knowledgeable ones on this forum are, but just started today lol.

·
Registered
3 Posts
i am new and just purchased my 06 turbo s with 83k miles. I also have a 95 s4 esprit that i bought about 12 years ago. maintenance records are number one, and should exist for these. i also like to beat the piss out of them when i test drive to ensure nothing is about to fail or has an unexpected band-aid applied. when i was researching my purchase, i merely googled "porsche cayenne turbo issues" or problems. WHat i found for th 04-05 models were transmission valve body issues that could cost $2k US to have fixed at a dealer. the 06 had coolant pipe issues that can also be a pricey fix at dealer but were just upgraded on my purchase. i am recently retired US Air Force and a master mechanic. I don't think there are many that fall into my category that own these and participate on forums (lotus is no different but a handful exist). I am currently trying to discern who the knowledgeable ones on this forum are, but just started today lol.
Looked at the turbo's and would be first in line - except we only have 12 points on our driving licences and if I got one , say on a monday By tuesday evening I would have lost all 12!! :)

I have tried looking at 'Porsche Cayenne V8 issues' and have not come up with much here in the UK, hence why I am on an American site. Found the re call notices etc. I also do not have the benefit of being either ex Airforce or a Master Mechanic AND not really understanding car's other than: one gets in, turns key and then plant one's right foot on accelerator, pausing occasionally to either steer or apply the big peddle next to the accelerator! ;)

So I was hoping that I could benefit from the experiance of other porsche owners and the Forum in the UK is about as responsive as a dead rat sniffing cheese.

Spider1V

1 - 5 of 5 Posts