Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered a Cayenne S. We were debating if we should include running board. The sale person told us none of his customers had this option included. Since the CS has adjustable height feature, we decided to try without the running board first and order it later when necessary. Here are questions to the owners who have running boards on their Cayenne,

- Where did you get them and did you install by yourself?
- How do you like them?
- Did it hurt the performance of your SUV?
- Did it look better or worst with the boards?

TIA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Running Boards - I am contemplating installing running boards in my Cayenne S.
Where did you get them?
Researched several web sites, you can purchase them from $575 to $1100. The sellers generally provide installers in your area when you provide the seller your Zip code. Installation will be $150+. I was planning to purchase Porsche Running Boards, Options Code VR1 $1550 + Installation. Original RBs will have factory attach points.
How do you like them?
I have retractable running boards in My Lincoln Navigator. It was easy for me (5'8") wife 5'5", and children to get in and out. The Navigator is 78" height while the Cayenne is 70" height with 19" wheels.
Will it Hurt The Performance?
It May, since it may induce additional drag. Porsche originals may be designed with air flow being a consideration.
Looks better or Worse?
Personally I would consider functionality over aesthetics. I am 5' 8", I have the 19" wheels, when I enter the vehicle, I almost sit on the contoured edge of the seat. With thousands of entry exits I will be wearing down the seat prematurely. I wish Porsche had retractable running boards, of course it will be cost prohibitive.
Greg has provided an important point to think about, one more protrusion - very true.
Question for Greg: When the door mirrors are folded, it protrudes about 4", I will check with Porsche dealership re RB width. The vehicle width appears to be the greatest, above the rear wheel well body panel, the rocker panel vicinity where the RB is attached seems to be narrower, any comments from Greg? In summary I am not tall, used to running boards, my ownership is only two weeks, I may adapt to it, if not I may install RBs in the future.Thanks,
CP

·
Registered
116 Posts
The mirrors - when folded - actually protrude less than an inch. Your estimate is likely the distance from window glass, but the sheet metal on the door then curves back out a good three inches from there. Use a 48" spirit level so that it makes a plumb line between the outside of the folded mirror and the floor, you'll see what I mean. Regarding the body width, the front and rear wheel widths are identical. So if there's a difference between front and rear body width, likely more perceived than actual. In fact, the more pronounced wheel front wheel well bulge suggests it's wider up there. But perception isn't reality.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Not sure why the edit feature was missing in my last post, so consider this an addendum post. Should you use the spirit level example, follow the inside plumb line to the floor. That should enable you to measure how far a RB can protrude before breaking the vertical plane of the folded mirror. You can also use the level to mark the floor in various locations to determine if in fact your observation about the rear wheel well is accurate.

I too had a problem entering and exiting vehicles, but it was due to arthritis in my spine. I had to let gravity flop me into the driver seat, then strain like **** to pull myself back out. Memory seats helped. They slowed the process, but raised and lowered the seat to a level that eased entry and exit. Prior to exiting, I'd push the memory button that raised the seat to the highest level. It was still there when I'd re-enter. At that point, I'd press the memory button that had the actual driving position. Doing that in reverse may be a partial solution to your own issue. Another assist would be the air suspension, permitting you to lower the entire vehicle as well as the seats

·
Registered
9 Posts
Running Boards

I followed Greg's Spirit Level suggestion. The distance from the edge of folded mirror vertical plane to the under-body horizontal plane is 2.75" - thanks Greg, good suggestion. I am adapting to entry/exit w/o the running boards. However wife desires running boards. Eventually I might install the RBs - happy wife , happy life.
A tit-bit from WSJ, Me & My Car 5/22/13:
Q: Are there any cars, other than SUVs that have a higher clearance and allow one to sit up a bit higher? As I get older, I find it more comfortable to climb up slightly to sit in the car and drive rather than lowering myself in to drive. I have an Audi A4 wagon and love the performance but wish it rode higher.

Food for thought for us High Mileage Seniors!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of your replies

wwest: I have researched running boards. This is a link I found for Aluminum RBs. These weigh 40Kg or 90.1 Lbs. May be a slight impact on your fuel consumption.

Aliexpress.com : Buy Running board OEM factory style for Porsche Cayenne 2011+ Aluminum wholesale 50% freight save from Reliable side step suppliers on M & A International
Thanks to all of your replies. Your opinions have been well taken into consideration, especially Pepercay's information. Our CS just arrive last week, and I have been busy in programming the garage opener units, reading the manual.

We will ride the CS for two weeks then decide to install the running boards or not. The CS is MUCH better than our old MB ML320, both in performance and comfort.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts