Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!
I'm considering an imminent purchase of a pre-owned Cayenne 'S' to replace my aging M/B ML430.
The units I'm currently inspecting are a 2004 with just over 100k miles, and a 2005 with 88k.

I'm a guy who does ALL of my own maintenance and repairs on ALL of my vehicles... but I'm getting older and don't enjoy it as much as I once did, so I'm considering an aftermarket extended-warranty with the car as well.

Can y'all please tell me what I should look-out for? What are the known faults of the vehicle? What maintenance could've been neglected that will be expensive? And is the car likely to go to 200k miles, if maintained properly? (I've got over 250k on my ML right now, and I bought it at 110k miles)

Any help you can offer would be very appreciated. I'm looking at these cars tomorrow.

TIA

·
Registered
25 Posts
A warranty will cost about $5,000 :eek: I check and it was not worth it to me. Some things I have found to look for when I was buying mine. I just bought about a month ago 2004 Cayenne S 65,000 mile. Water intakes, (plastic from factory) need to be changed out to medal. Water pumps go bad about $600 unless you fix it your self. I have heard that the carrier baring for the drive shaft goes bad. I had the lifts go bad on the tail gate, quoted $650 replaced then did it my self $100 parts on line and 1 hour time. (Savings $550.) That is some of the main things that I have heard other than that just high maintenance. Wiper blades $65 Auto Zone ($35 to $45 on line). Oil change $250 dealer local repair shop $125. (nine quarts Mobile one with filler) Tires and breaks don't last like on other SUV's the car weighs close to 5,000 lbs.
Hope this helps, other than that I love the car it gets looks everyone says I didn't know Porsche made a SUV. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
A warranty will cost about $5,000 :eek: I check and it was not worth it to me. Some things I have found to look for when I was buying mine. I just bought about a month ago 2004 Cayenne S 65,000 mile. Water intakes, (plastic from factory) need to be changed out to medal. Water pumps go bad about $600 unless you fix it your self. I have heard that the carrier baring for the drive shaft goes bad. I had the lifts go bad on the tail gate, quoted $650 replaced then did it my self $100 parts on line and 1 hour time. (Savings $550.) That is some of the main things that I have heard other than that just high maintenance. Wiper blades $65 Auto Zone ($35 to $45 on line). Oil change $250 dealer local repair shop $125. (nine quarts Mobile one with filler) Tires and breaks don't last like on other SUV's the car weighs close to 5,000 lbs.
Hope this helps, other than that I love the car it gets looks everyone says I didn't know Porsche made a SUV. :)
Who did you look at going through for the warranty? We want to get one for the vehicle we are looking at.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like Raynoj, I purchased my 2005 Cayenne a month ago. So far all has been well. I have been having issues with the cornering light coming on. My front passenger light will go on and off. I took it to get checked and oddly enough it came on as they pulled it in. I just upgraded to the Navigation and DVD yesterday. My to do list includes replacing the tailgate lifts but that's about it. I absolutely love this SUV. I have 83K miles on it. I'd love to get 150 or more.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Rear gate lifts

I replaced rear gate lifts about three weeks ago. Google it on U-tube there is a clip that shows how to do it, it took the guys on the clip about 1 1/2 hrs.. It took me 1 hour by my self and the cost of the lifts were $98.00 shipping incl. from geek-parts (had parts in 3 days reg. shipping from South Fl). Ormond Imports wanted $650.00+ to replace them. You just need a long screw driver, reg screw driver, philips, pliers and small bucket for loose parts, oh and something to hold up the tailgate or a helper. I do not have an automatic gate.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts