Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I'm writing in on behalf of my dad who's not that great at English. He's got a 2004 Porsche Cayenne GTS I believe.

He took the car into the dealership about a year and a half ago to get a replacement key and his battery died also. As they were fixing the key, they tried all of these things and ultimately, when it was fixed, is mileage in the car went from 80,000 to 60,000. Shortly, thereafter, as he was driving home, the odometer was displaying nothing.

I'm not sure why he didn't go back to fix it right away and what's done is done,but he wants to fix this now.

The dealership tells him that the only way to reset the odometer to his actual mileage is to buy a brand new cluster for $4K. This seems quite ludicrous. Other mechanics have advised to buy a used cluster and they can install it. The only problem is that the VIN# will be different for the part vs the car. Additionally, we likely won't find a used cluster that has less than 100,000 miles on it.

If the dealership is telling him that they can fix the mileage with a new cluster, what's stopping them from fixing the mileage on our current cluster. It seems the car works fine, just the odometer isn't working correctly.

I'd greatly appreciate anyone's thoughts on this matter.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts