Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have wanted a cayenne for many years and am not in a position to purchase a used cayenne turbo. The miles are relatively low at 40k. My first question is what am I getting myself into with maintenance and costs associated. I know there will be a surcharge for a vehicle like this, but is it more often than I would expect with say a Toyota? Next question is there is a carfax blip. I spoke with the dealership that performed the repairs and although the insurance company did everything needed to make the car whole, how bad will this affect the resale in 4-5 years as I do not want it at this time beyond 100k miles. There was some radiator damage and a small amount of subframe damage. Help! I am in love with car after the first drive.

· Administrator
185 Posts
While Japanese dealer-performed service is no longer a real bargain, with any Porsche you're looking at $200/hour and up at a dealership. That high price generated a need for less expensive service bringing about independent Porsche shops and mechanics. Some are equal to dealer-level capabilities, and some not so much. The members of your local Porsche Club of America (PCA.ORG) will be the people to ask about who they use..

As far as the Carfax report - Porsche buyers seek perfection most of the time, so any significant "ding" on a Carfax can really change the resale value, that change follows the car no matter how many owners it's had. Factor that into what you're willing to pay for the car.

An axiom: An inexpensive German luxury car may end up being the most expensive car you've ever owned! (Me..)

· Registered
1 Posts
There is no such thing as really saving money when it comes to a Porsche purchase (one should look into Toyota's side for this one). And one should not worry about a re-sale value either. If, however, you want to be money-conscience and still want the Cayenne, I'd say look at a lower trim level and for a "fresher" model year.

· Registered
24 Posts
As a 2016 Cayenne Base owner I can say that although we love the car, it has been the most expensive we've ever owned. Bought used in 2018 with only 15K on it and here we are just over four years later and we only put 12K on it. Oil changes are expensive. $700 at the dealer and $375 at our go to German auto clinic. I've started doing them myself to save a few bucks and knowing it's done right is a big deal to me. Recently, we had the notorious transfer case issue. Changed the fluid ($800) and that helped but I'm going to be taking it to the dealer before the extended transfer case warranty expires. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't. Honestly, you are just buying a status symbol. If we were talking 911 or similar, that's a whole different genre. The Cayenne is just another SUV. Granted a refined, wonderful to drive SUV but still, an SUV. I guarantee you can get a much superior vehicle for the same money. We had a 2015 Ford Edge Sport and was a much more reliable and far less expensive vehicle to maintain. Our local Ford dealer charged us $50 or less for inspection, oil change and tire rotation. Never had one issue with it. As nice as the Cayenne? No, but it got us to where we needed to go and it was nice. We sold the Edge 6 months ago for $21k. The Cayenne with 27k miles is currently worth $32k and is in showroom condition. MSRP was $81k. We bought the Edge new for $41k. 50% depreciation for the Edge versus 60% for the Cayenne for the same number of years. My recommendation is look for something else and to wait. Prices are dropping significantly and right now, unless you get a killer deal, is still not a good time. Check out "Your Advocate Alliance" on You Tube for current market conditions. I have no affiliation with them but they do offer good insights on the car market. Good luck to you and let us know what you end up doing.

· Registered
2 Posts
Solid advice from @stelvio1200 .......highly recommend gear wrenching a well cared for, already depreciated Cayenne as there are many gems out there for DIYers. Educate yourself on You Tube, spend a few bucks on some basic tools. The $700 transfer case flush cost $45 in materials, and took 25 minutes without using a car lift at home. Plugs, coils, drain cleaning and all oil and air filter changes can be achieved by a well groomed chimpanzee 🙄My gem bought in 11/22: 2015 Cayenne S eHybrid with 35k miles, for $38K in showroom condition.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts