Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2006 Cayenne base model with 1 keyfob. That makes me nervous. It's the 3 button model with red panic button on the side. Porsche dealer wants $415.50 US plus tax for a new one from Porsche mothership. Then $170 labor for programming. Obviously the cost bothers me. Any less costly solutions out there? I need a key + keyfob.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I bought my 2006 Cayenne base model with 1 keyfob. That makes me nervous. It's the 3 button model with red panic button on the side. Porsche dealer wants $415.50 US plus tax for a new one from Porsche mothership. Then $170 labor for programming. Obviously the cost bothers me. Any less costly solutions out there? I need a key + keyfob.
I have that same question for my 2010 Cayenne, Thanks

·
Registered
30 Posts
Getting the key fob or getting the key cut isn't the issue, but rather that it nneds to be paired up with the car. You might be able to find an indie that can do this at a lower price.

·
Administrator
14 Posts
Unfortunately - I don't believe there is a less expensive solution. Thing is - the key performs two functions, and one of them can only be enabled by Porsche-AG on their computers.

There is the remote lock/unlock and if you have it "kessy" (Keyless entry and drive). This is a fairly standard implementation of a code-jumping system where every use generates a new code that the receiver can recognize. That part can be programmed by a local computer or car tool. What can't easily be created is the chip in the key that tells the immobilizer it's OK to start the engine. This is a standalone sort of chip, similar to an RFID chip, and the code on it comes burned into it (one-time thing) from Porsche based on your VIN# and proof of ownership. I have seen vendors claiming to have devices that can create these chips, and I've seen the chips (blank) for sale, so it might be possible to bypass the dealer, but the cost of the equipment to create the chips is several thousand $$$, and a small shop isn't going to spend that much money for what's basically a niche market.

If you do find a source and you receive a key that works correctly - please let us know. This question is asked frequently in almost all the Porsche forums for all the more recent models.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts