Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne with 6sp manual, 2000 Boxster
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 Base Cayenne With 92k mi. I’ve owned it a year and have put 5k on the car. My wife complains the ride is too bouncy. I ignored her but am coming around to that view.

is 92k a plausible interval for replacing shocks? Any recommendations for shocks? OEM spec is probably fine, but was hoping for an alternative to the original Porsche Parts.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2012 Base Cayenne With 92k mi. I’ve owned it a year and have put 5k on the car. My wife complains the ride is too bouncy. I ignored her but am coming around to that view.

is 92k a plausible interval for replacing shocks? Any recommendations for shocks? OEM spec is probably fine, but was hoping for an alternative to the original Porsche Parts.
Doesn’t hurt to check the shocks as these are heavy vehicles…also, the driver’s door frame sticker reflects full load—try reducing pressures by about 3 lbs all around; anothrrconsideration are your tires, the brand & type of tire can make a big difference in ride comfort.

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne with 6sp manual, 2000 Boxster
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your thoughtful reply. I’ll try lowering tire pressure. The tires are fairly worn Pirellis. Will replace them with Michelins this spring.

·
Registered
23 Posts

You can buy replacement Bilstein shocks from Tirerack … sounds like you need them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Doesn’t hurt to check the shocks as these are heavy vehicles…also, the driver’s door frame sticker reflects full load—try reducing pressures by about 3 lbs all around; anothrrconsideration are your tires, the brand & type of tire can make a big difference in ride comfort.
A) some stickers (on German cars) show pressure for "full" and "half" load
B) even more than brand, the type (summer performance vs 'no good in any season' all season for example) and most certainly the SIZE. I have been running performance summer in 295/35R21 (with air suspension) and felt fine; but with steel suspensionn, the impact harshness was not comfortable. I put the 275/45R20 'all season' on for the summer. Squeals horribly in turns, but a lot more comfortable.
C) BOUNCY symptom description is certainly more a shock (damping) than a tire issue. Tire (and springs) typically are described as 'hard' or 'harsh'.

·
Registered
23 Posts
A) some stickers (on German cars) show pressure for "full" and "half" load
B) even more than brand, the type (summer performance vs 'no good in any season' all season for example) and most certainly the SIZE. I have been running performance summer in 295/35R21 (with air suspension) and felt fine; but with steel suspensionn, the impact harshness was not comfortable. I put the 275/45R20 'all season' on for the summer. Squeals horribly in turns, but a lot more comfortable.
C) BOUNCY symptom description is certainly more a shock (damping) than a tire issue. Tire (and springs) typically are described as 'hard' or 'harsh'.
FWIW I am running 295/40/20 on my CS. As a opposed to my usual Michelin PS or Conti DWX 06’s, I picked a relatively new AS tire … the Yokohama Geolander X-CV’s. I have air suspension and find these tires to be a good mix of comfort, handling, quiet, and snow/ice … just drove through a snow storm at the bottom of Lake Michigan tonight and they did great. They are definitely not performance summer tires but I don’t need my CS for tossing about, as I have a 987.2 Boxster S for that purpose (with Michelin PS summers).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts