Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to retrofit roof rails on to a Cayenne? If so, assume it will require removal of the headliner and bracing added? Thanks in advance for any comments / insights.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Really need to know the series of Cayenne you're asking about. Some yes - some no.
It’s a 2018 Cayenne S, 2nd Gen, 958.2. I have used a thule basket and a thule cargo carrier at various times and would like to have the options to use them with my Cayenne (just bought it used a few months ago). If I can’t add rails, I think thule makes a system that connects to the door openings. Appreciate any input you might have.

·
Administrator
147 Posts
I won't say absolutely you can't add rails - but the expense and difficulty doing it makes it really impractical. The 955/957 series cars came with the needed mounting points in the roof, even if the car didn't have roof-rails. The 958 series didn't - and adding them requires dropping the roof-headliner, and welding brackets to the roof structure, which destroys the paint on the exterior, then drilling holes through the roof for the bolts for the rails. If you mess up the spacing even the tiniest bit things aren't going to fit. I've heard of one person who did this, and they said they'd never do it again since it turned into a massive expensive job.

I'd say look to Thule.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I won't say absolutely you can't add rails - but the expense and difficulty doing it makes it really impractical. The 955/957 series cars came with the needed mounting points in the roof, even if the car didn't have roof-rails. The 958 series didn't - and adding them requires dropping the roof-headliner, and welding brackets to the roof structure, which destroys the paint on the exterior, then drilling holes through the roof for the bolts for the rails. If you mess up the spacing even the tiniest bit things aren't going to fit. I've heard of one person who did this, and they said they'd never do it again since it turned into a massive expensive job.

I'd say look to Thule.
I think you be right … waaay too much pain for too little gain. Thanks for your input. While I have you, what’s your opinion about tuning an S to get another 20-40 hp?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thule makes a roof kit specific to your Cayenne. I had to have roof racks and my 2013 came without so I checked into adding and it was way too complicated and expensive. I bought the Thule rack and it is fantastic. Looks good and works great. I carry kayaks, skis and a roof box with no issues. Plus it is easy on, easy off so when I don't need it I can put it in the garage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It’s a 2018 Cayenne S, 2nd Gen, 958.2. I have used a thule basket and a thule cargo carrier at various times and would like to have the options to use them with my Cayenne (just bought it used a few months ago). If I can’t add rails, I think thule makes a system that connects to the door openings. Appreciate any input you might have.
We have a 2014 Cayenne without the rails and got Thule racks which connect at the door frame.

Make sure to get ones where the cross piece connects INTO the door mount, not over it, so you don’t have unsightly ‘wings’ above the mounts. That said, the latter gives you more racking space and a ‘bollard’ to use for tie-down, but it looks pretty naff.

EmJay
Calgary

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have a 2014 Cayenne without the rails and got Thule racks which connect at the door frame.

Make sure to get ones where the cross piece connects INTO the door mount, not over it, so you don’t have unsightly ‘wings’ above the mounts. That said, the latter gives you more racking space and a ‘bollard’ to use for tie-down, but it looks pretty naff.

EmJay
Calgary
Agree … had thule ‘aero-bar-wings’ on an Outback and prefer the smoother look … don’t need the extra rack space. Question … do you leave the rack on all the time or take it on and off? Thanks LJ

1 - 8 of 8 Posts