Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought of hearing others' opinions on this. I had 2021 Cayenne as a loaner while my 981S was getting service. I was totally disappointed with the car. Cayenne was one of few cars I shortlisted as a family SUV but after driving over the weekend, I decided not to buy one. Here is the problem.

The car jolts during downshifting from gear-3 to gear-2 and jolts even more from gear-2 to gear-1. Every time, I make a turn on local roads (especially around the residential areas), as the speed is low, this happens all the time. The gear change from 2 to 1 happens right in the middle of the turn and the turn becomes so busy and rough.

Anyone have had this issue? Is this just the loaner or all cayenne have this issue?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like they are putting the 8 speed ZF automatic in the current gen Cayenne, and i'm not a fan. I think it's a reliable transmission, they put it in everything, but it's not smooth. I drove an audi a6 s-line with that same transmission, and I wasn't impressed with the shifting at all, night and day compared to the DSG in my S4.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
I just thought of hearing others' opinions on this. I had 2021 Cayenne as a loaner while my 981S was getting service. I was totally disappointed with the car. Cayenne was one of few cars I shortlisted as a family SUV but after driving over the weekend, I decided not to buy one. Here is the problem.

The car jolts during downshifting from gear-3 to gear-2 and jolts even more from gear-2 to gear-1. Every time, I make a turn on local roads (especially around the residential areas), as the speed is low, this happens all the time. The gear change from 2 to 1 happens right in the middle of the turn and the turn becomes so busy and rough.

Anyone have had this issue? Is this just the loaner or all cayenne have this issue?
From experience with my GTS, I attribute the behavior to how it was driven before you drove it. If I take it easy around town, you hardly notice the transmission. If you decide to get 'sporty' and 'aggressive', the system senses your style and will shift aggressively, especially downshifts. Sometimes it's bothersome, but since I know what to expect, and how to invoke it, I don't mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just purchased a base Cayenne last week. I have had the exact same lurching during downshifting. It is most notable from 3-2. I noted it during the test drive and commented that it must be in some sport mode to the salesman. No comment. When I drove it home, I pulled over several times trying to get it into a different mode. I figured surely there is a drive in which this does not happen. No luck. I spoke with the salesman who said I would get used it. I asked him to mention the issue to the Porsche mechanic who said it was normal. The issue is absolutely miserable. My 488 Spider does not do this so please don't tell me this is a feature unique to performance cars. I even had my wife drive it to make sure I wasn't crazy. Her exact quote as she is sitting next to me: "it seems to aggressively brake when you are trying to coast and then fools you into relaxing off the brake before slamming you into the next low gear."

What a disappointment. What a joke. Everything else on this car is great other than the driving part. I am planning to return it for whatever financial hit they want to give me. Never buying a Porsche again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts