Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am Mateo8 and I drive a '97 4Runner 5-speed with factory locker as the daily and I get out and about with my 1/1 RHD 2000 BMW 540it (long story on that car but that is neither here nor there) on the weekends. I am a Porsche 911 person at heart (weirdly the 996 generation) and only bought my BMW because it was too good of a deal to pass up. I have joined the forum looking for information on the first gen Cayenne Turbo as my mom has tasked me with researching a replacement SUV for her 280k mile '03 Tahoe. I have driven a couple of first gen turbos in the past when I was looking for a fun car and I love them, but my mom is not sold on them, so I am looking for a distilled rundown on common problems + parts cost to try and convince her to choose a Cayenne Turbo. I have done research in the past into these cars, but she wants a nice and orderly list on the car. My mom is not a fan of paying for premium fuel, and wants to know more about these cars. I personally love them and keep my eye out for them, but she needs to be convinced to look at one by someone other than me, please help me out here, and as the title says, "Sell me on the first gen Cayenne Turbo", thank you

·
Registered
29 Posts
Be very very careful.......... I purchased a 2004 Turbo with just over 130k miles. Car's history was clear with no accidents or mechanical issues, and only 2 previous owners. Service intervals were within guidelines, CARFAX was clear. Between April and September 2019, I put just under 10k miles on the vehicle, including a two week road trip to Wyoming and back from Alabama. At 144,000 miles, the engine suffered a catastrophic failure. My local servicing dealer said their testing showed 0% compression across all 8 cylinders; however, there was no indication or report they did anything. I had the Cayenne taken to a very well known and highly respected dealership in a nearby state, where they ordered a special camera to film the interior of the motor without having to disassemble it. The results were inconclusive. Due to the age of the vehicle, my request to have Porsche replace the motor, even after I offered to pay the labor, was turned down. So, a creampuff
grey Cayenne Turbo ended up at a pull-a-part yard and I got a check for $1000. The cost to replace the motor would have exceeded the value of the vehicle. Just be careful......

1 - 4 of 4 Posts