Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the forum looking at a 08 turbo with less than 60k miles. Started it up and ticking noise was very noticeable it begin to idle down and the noise went down some but was still louder than i expected. Me and the sales guy checked the oil and it had plenty in it. So my question is.......what is going on with it? Is it a problem I should walk away from or is it something if anything. This will be my 1st Porsche so i would hate to be buying another guy's problem. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Does the ticking stop when the car warms up? Is it a northern car? There is a rare but know factory engine defect with the V8 that causes piston scoring and, eventually, engine failure. The ticking can be the first clue. There are ton of these out there lurking. I just walked from an 04 CS. The cure is a $20K replacement engine. A rebuilder I inquired with is seeing 10/week. The further north, the more cold starts, the worse the problem. I heard of one guy in Canada who is on his 3rd engine (under warranty). The only way to avoid this is to buy a turbo and buy a southern car that has never seen a cold start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In my experience, if the "ticking" goes away or quiets down after a few min of running than it could be noisy or sticky lifters. Sometime people describe the Ticking and it is just noisy injectors. If it is the injectors just run some injector cleaner and drive a tank or two see if the noise is less.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts