Porsche Cayenne Forums banner

towing a travel trailer

9K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Guill 
#1 ·
Hello, I own a 2016 Panamera S . I'm considering trading for a Cayenne to pull a travel trailer with. Does anyone have experience with this please? I would be pulling a 20 foot trailer with a max. weight of 5.5K pounds. Thank you for your time. Tom

#2 ·
I have a 2013 CD with the factory tow kit. It has lots of power and tows an 18 foot toy hauler with no issues from that perspective. I have had it loaded to about 5300 lbs. Tongue weight however has been an issue for me. The trailer unit I have is front heavy and even with a load leveling hitch I struggle to get it to even out. There are no helper spring options for the Cayenne (sensibly I would add) so just be aware on the tongue weight side.

#4 · (Edited)
Honestly, I don't know much about cars, my husband always rents them when we travel, and he always chooses the right vehicle. But I am responsible for the plan itinerary, and thanks to a site I found recently we were able to find the best locations where we can stay overnight, the tourist places you can't find on the internet and many other exciting things that I didn't even know it was possible to organize during a trip. In any case, I will ask my husband to tell me where he rents the cars from or what models he prefers to take on the trip, and I will let you know.

#6 · (Edited)
You will have no problems with it. I have towed a trailer for one thousand miles with my Porsche. You will notice a difference in driving, but it won't be such a big problem if you are a good driver and attentive. Also, it is important to pay attention to the maximum weight your car can tow because if you surpass the limit, you can destroy the car's gearbox. But such kind of traveling is very great. I was always traveling by train and getting the train tickets on dbauskunft.com, but since I have bought the trailer, I have never used a train again.

#7 · (Edited)
You will be fine if you don't exceed the weight limit. There will be some noticeable differences in driving, but it shouldn't make a big deal while driving. My family has an ESA, and we were traveling by plane, which made us read the travel policies on United Airlines ESA Travel Policies | ESARA, but since I bought a trailer, I didn't have to worry about it and was free to travel with my family while having a trailer which is much better for us. I used to tow the trailer with a Cayenne that I used to own until I sold it.

#9 ·
Got to be careful with tow & hitch weight,
they are given when dry & unloaded.
- you must add your gear and fluid weight to it. Dry weight this trailer weighs 2,300#. Queen size bed, kitchen, galley, dinning table for four, shower, solar, three LiFePO4 batteries, etc. It also holds 32 gal of water - 8.35 lb X 32 - 272 pounds, plus 95qt fridge/freezer, plus all the options selected, plus...
We have taken this on technical off-roads camping at dispersed sites always trying to avoid campgrounds.
Flat level paved surfaces are a bit different the the 19% grade, off camber turns, all off-road. Driving ranged from marbles to baby head sized rocks.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Sky

#10 ·
Got to be careful with tow & hitch weight,
they are given when dry & unloaded.
- you must add your gear and fluid weight to it. Dry weight this trailer weighs 2,300#. Queen size bed, kitchen, galley, dinning table for four, shower, solar, three LiFePO4 batteries, etc. It also holds 32 gal of water - 8.35 lb X 32 - 272 pounds, plus 95qt fridge/freezer, plus all the options selected, plus...
We have taken this on technical off-roads camping at dispersed sites always trying to avoid campgrounds.
Flat level paved surfaces are a bit different the the 19% grade, off camber turns, all off-road. Driving ranged from marbles to baby head sized rocks.
View attachment 4885
Love your rig … looks like you’re running AT tires also … maybe wildpeaks?

#12 ·
Wow … jealous … I live in chicago and my off roading is limited to a three week trip to Yellowstone each fall to fish … we get a little bit back-country but nothing like what you’re describing. Nice to see your rig has gone to 133k miles … I am at 69k and hoping it makes it another 80k!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.