Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to understand if a Cayenne is a good towing vehicle. Plan to pull 6,000 to 6,500 pounds of boat or trailer with a car in Michigan hills. Have a Macan S (no towing with this) and thinking of replacing with a new or used Cayenne Coupe base or S. Please share thoughts about preferred equipment (beyond hitch,) model choice, and/or experiences, good or bad.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I tow with a 2012 Cayenne S. It required a retrofitted hitch system. I bought the Porsche OEM system from Suncoast Porsche. It came with (almost) everything needed for a successful and permanent factory installation. Tow hitch, hardwire, wire loom, and tow control unit. I would NEVER buy an aftermarket hitch or wiring for this Vehicle. I tow a 25ft Airstream that weighs about 6000lb dry. The factory tow module goes behind the passenger side trunk panel, and wiring is already in place. The OEM hitch is amazing, makes the aftermarket ones look like toys. The tow module needs to be programmed to the vehicle by a PIWIS system. So a trip to a dealer or capable independent will be necessary, but its well worth it. From what I can trace in the wiring diagram, it connects the trailer to the on board alarm, disables the backup sensors, and does things with cooling fans and other "stuff" inside the cars functionality. It will sense a trailer being there, and also allows for a passthrough of the electric brake controller. The front end of which already lives under the left front lower dash, not far from the OBD port. I do not believe that the system changes shift points or any other driveline suctions, but I might be mistaken there.
friend of mine tows with an identical body vehicle, except his is a Diesel version. We recently took off his back bumper cover to check his tow hitch attachment, and after thousands of miles with 1000lb plus tongue weight of his trailer towed with Weight distribution, there was absolutely no sign of stress or damage. Bolts were still to torque, and the hitch itself without damages.
That's all I Know, and I hope it helps.

Uwe

·
Registered
3 Posts
Uwe I find that very interesting. I have just brought a 2005 3.2 v6 and have priced a tow bar install with wiring ranging about $850 from several after market installers however today I got a quote of $10,000 from the Porsche agent?
What your saying is that the wiring could cause all sorts of issues if not done correct, is this the same for a 2005 vintage do you know?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
My kit came from Suncoast Porsche. OE tow bar, electronic module and a short wiring loom. There is one more part needed, which is the US 7-pin flat connector, I will have to find the part number. All in all the tow system cost me about $ 1200.00, I installed it myself and had the module programmed while my car was in for service, free of charge.
I have no idea if a 2005 is similar to my 2012. But, the aftermarket wiring kits I have seen before opting for factory didnt arouse great confidence in me. Having said that, if all you want to do is tow a little utility trailer, then its probably fine. You won't need trailer battery charging and electric brake actuation. But for serious towing, I wouldn't bother with the Uhaul etc. harnesses. A poorly installed trailer wiring harness could cause all kinds of problems, indeed.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My trailers are just trailers, no battery and no brakes just tail light, stop light and blinkers. The other concern I now have is the parking sensors, they work brilliant and are so handy when parking the car backwards into my confined garage. Do they need to be removed as the trailer would activate these non stop?

Thanks for your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts