Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne with 6sp manual, 2000 Boxster
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am picking up a new-to-me 2014 Cayenne with 88k on the clock. Well documented car from a meticulous owner. But I’ve been reading about issues with the transfer case, including a YouTube where the poster claims Porsche has recalled Cayennes under 10 years old to address the transfer Case. This car has no issues currently. I’ve not seen this recall confirmed anywhere else. Anyone here heard of this?

also, I believe the transfer case was never had a A fluid flush and refill. the Owner says Porsche doesn’t recommend it. Thoughts?

·
Administrator
90 Posts
I am picking up a new-to-me 2014 Cayenne with 88k on the clock. Well documented car from a meticulous owner. But I’ve been reading about issues with the transfer case, including a YouTube where the poster claims Porsche has recalled Cayennes under 10 years old to address the transfer Case. This car has no issues currently. I’ve not seen this recall confirmed anywhere else. Anyone here heard of this?

also, I believe the transfer case was never had a A fluid flush and refill. the Owner says Porsche doesn’t recommend it. Thoughts?
It's not a recall - it's an extended warranty. The length depends on the age of the Cayenne. I believe a 2014 would be for 10 years. Later models were only for 8 years I think. Since the transfer case is working OK, I'd suggest adding it to a 20,000-mile maintenance schedule - change the fluid every 20k. If you have air suspension it can be done without even putting the car on a lift (just raise the suspension to the highest level and slide under.) While Porsche hasn't changed the official word on changing the oil - the savvy dealers do it as part of a major service. The expense is minimal.

With oil changed regularly my 2011 turbo (now out of the extended warranty) has made it to 105,000 miles on the original transfer case.

·
Registered
3 Posts

I purchased a "New to me" 2013 Cayenne S with 81k miles on it from a Porsche dealership. After 3 weeks I felt the dreaded shuddering and called the dealership. They had a new transfer case in stock and replaced it for $0 under the extended warranty. I was given a 2021 Macan S for a loaner for 2 days while the work was done. I have added the transfer case fluid change to my normal servicing schedule. I have it down for every second oil change just to be safe. May be a little sooner than needed but it isn't a huge additional expense and I'd rather keep the new case happy.

·
Registered
2012 Cayenne with 6sp manual, 2000 Boxster
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you. do we need to purchase an extended warranty program for our transfer case to be covered? Or are we covered by default?

·
Administrator
90 Posts
Thank you. do we need to purchase an extended warranty program for our transfer case to be covered? Or are we covered by default?
You're covered by default. You can contact Porsche North-America's customer service line and confirm it via your VIN#

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2011 CS has been through 3 T-cases. All done under warranty. The last fix seems to have been a permanent fix, 90k on her now, but I'll add the fluid change to the maintenance (I like the idea of doing it every second oil change).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts