Porsche Cayenne Forums : Porsche Cayenne Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 350th Chevrolet (I think so) that has paid its debt to society. He had a hard life and definitely had a few visits to the machine shop. So I decided that making a table out of it would be a good use for it instead of a crusher. My biggest problem is that I was trying to weld one of the pistons to the block and it seems like I can't get a good weld on it. I'd like to think of myself as a half-decent welder. It just didn't penetrate as it should. Any suggestions on how to get a good weld in such a project? I think I'll play around with an old cast iron block and a broken piston to see if I can figure out what I'm missing. The best combination I got was the wire speed of 135 and 19 volts, but I could still break it with my hands.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm new here, so I guess I probably don't know exactly how this forum does things, but I'm struggling to see why this would even be in the "New Member Introductions" section.

At any rate, why are you welding the piston to the cylinder? There's a hundred other ways to do this task if you're making a table out of it. Coming in from underneath and using some physical obstruction (drill and bolt), or maybe you want the pistons at a different height like they should be with a glass top, then just pull the rods and put an appropriate thickness of wood under each piston? It's hard to come up with these other solutions unless we knew what level of disassembly your block is in and what you are aiming at. A quick look at other tables show a fun setup where the rods are bolted to the engine block and then the flat top of the pistons hold the table glass.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts