Porsche Cayenne Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying 2004 Cayenne S. It has a bad engine. Seller claims there was a timing failure and it has bent valves. I can't confirm unless I buy it and tear it down.
My research has found no other claims of timing failures anywhere online, is this a know issue?
If I tear it down and find it's rebuildable, I'm going to do the rebuild, I'm more than capable.
If it's not rebuildable I'm thinking of swapping in a better motor, but need to know the main differences in the 4.5, 4.5 TT, the 4.8, 4.8 TT

Any answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated. I will make a thread of the rebuild or swap depending on answers.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Have you done any searching into the prices of the motors? The 4.5 and the 4.8 are both crazy expensive motors, even used. The difference between the 4.5 NA and the 4.5 TT is that the TT has oil squirters to better lube/cool the cylinders. No you cant throw TT on the NA. That is a definite way to cause heartache and wasting of funds. From what you have said in your post I would stay away form that vehicle. A 4.5 motor will run you some where in the neighborhood of 5K on ebay. I asked Suncoast Porsche when I first got mine about the swap to a 4.8, their answer was for just the remaned engine with none of the accessories was 27K. So unless you run an engine shop or have a close friend that does, I would recommend not purchasing.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts